Author Topic: Newcombes of Killina  (Read 1026 times)

Offline fiftywinds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcombes of Killina
« on: Sunday 04 December 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I am looking for information on the history of the Newcombe(Newcomb/Nucumb) family in County Mayo. My ancestor, James Newcombe was born in 1788-1791 in Killeana(Killina) County Mayo. He joined the Pennisular wars and was very highly decorated. He returned to County Mayo and married a Pheobe(Febea) Magee about 1820. He had Michael 1821, James 1829 and Bridget 1830. He seems to have left andis next found in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Scotland where the family mostly settled. Some emigrated to New York in the USA in the 1940s.
Are there any Newcombes who recognise the family or are there any newcombes from Mayo who can help with the pre 1788 history of mayo. Newcombe is traditionally an English name but there seems to have been some emigration to Ireland at the same time as England.
Many thanks for the help.

Offline Stephen Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newcombes of Killina
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi there fiftywinds...cant help with James Newcomb before 1788 I'm afraid but I am another descendant of him.. through his daughter Bridget who married my 3rd great Grandfather Michael Burns (b 1810 in Cork)  I'm from Dumfries but now live in BC canada