Author Topic: WW2 USAF personnel who died in the UK - death certificates  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 USAF personnel who died in the UK - death certificates
« on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a US airman, born in Kentucky, grew up in Indiana if that is at all relevant,  who was killed on 6th March 1944, along with the rest of the crew, when the plane crashed (with a full payload of bombs) just after take off from Great Dunham, Norfolk, England.
I have lots of documentary evidence of this but what I don't have, and don't know where to look for it, is an actual death certificate.

If he had been a UK serviceman, I would look at the (separate to the civilian population database) UK General Register Office database of British Nationals Armed Forces Deaths Register, and using the references given in that could apply for the death certificate,  but am unable to find an equivalent for the US.

Checking the available databases for registered deaths in the UK draws a total blank for any of the ten men who died so I am assuming that the US authorities did their own thing.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please? I am aware that a death cert may not provide any new information, but I just got curious about this.

Thanks

Boo

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 USAF personnel who died in the UK - death certificates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:44 GMT (UK) »
You could  search for Cemeteries where US service men and women  may be buried.   in the UK

Could well be  in Norfolk   or Suffolk.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Are US rules the same as UK, ie a death has to be registered where it took place? Can you give us his name?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ScouseBoy though I very much doubt that there would have been much in the coffin (full payload of bombs went off on impact, Lord love them) I have documentary evidence that a coffin was taken back to the US in 1948 and know where it was buried in Indiana.

Its the official certification of death I am wondering about.

Boo

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked that a certificate wasn't issued in the US before the coffin was buried ie in 1948?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
The American cemetery at Madingley is the official site in the UK so it may be worth contacting them or searching these links

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/cambridge-american-cemetery#.WESPE_mLQ2w

http://www.visitcambridge.org/things-to-do/cambridge-american-cemetery-and-memorial-p508201

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Are US rules the same as UK, ie a death has to be registered where it took place? Can you give us his name?

Short answer is that I am trying to ascertain the answer to whether or not the rules are the same, or if the usual rules that a death in the UK must be registered with the UK authorities would have applied in WW2 with US servicemen based here.

His name was James Aloysius HEILMAN and the details of the crash can be seen here:
http://www.b24.net/missions/MM030644.htm#cnl

Boo

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »
The answer  may be contained  in an Act   called "The Visiting Forces  Act"    or something   similar.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked that a certificate wasn't issued in the US before the coffin was buried ie in 1948?

Well I checked in Indiana, which is where he was living from the age of 3 weeks till he joined up. His family were all there and there is nothing in the database for him. Though his funeral and the burial took place there. Nothing in the Social Security Death Index (not sure if that is the right terminology) for the US for this man either.

Boo