Author Topic: Robert McFadden c1803, Donegal  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert McFadden c1803, Donegal
« on: Monday 05 December 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Please could anyone help me with any information on the following:- The family immigrated to Australia, NSW in 1841 as Bounty Immigrants - Robert McFadden (38yrs) Ag Lab, Anne (38yrs nee Crawford), James(14yrs), Robert (12yrs), Hugh (6yrs), Rebecca (10yrs), Rosy (Rose 8yrs) all from Donegal and on a separate listing Ellen (15yrs) listed from Leck, Tyrone, childrens nurse.  Her parents were Robert and Ann as above. They arrived in Australia on 28/8/1841,so I had hoped to find them in the 1841 census, but no luck so far.  On the immigration form Robert's parents are Hugh and Ellen McFadden and Anne's parents James and Rebecca Crawford.    Any info would be great as I never thought I would get the family tree back into Ireland.
Regards
Catherine Wait
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McFadden c1803, Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 16 11:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a site  http://donegalgenealogy.com/

with a Search Box but can't get it to work.

It's a new version of http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, On the immigration papers - Ellen Episc, Robert RC and Anne Prot.  Cemetery that Anne was buried in, was relocated and she was moved to the Presbyterian section of Bunnerong cemetery, Sydney.  Hugh McFadden, father of Robert is listed as a farmer and James, father of Anne as a weaver
Ridley (Northumberland)
Hatley (London)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
family search,

http://familysearch.org

Ship Percy arrived 28.8.1841

says Robert was a farm servant/Butler
Anne Needle Woman

James Crawford was a weaver

the site Hallmark gave you has a list of all the ships

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 December 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks - I have all the shipping info etc., what I was trying to find is the family in Ireland.  I thought it should be easy to find the family, as I have parents names, but I have not found anything at all.
Thanks
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Hatley (London)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 December 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
When did Robert died was the death put in the paper or any mention of which part of Donegal he came from.  I was born in Ballyshannon County donegal but brought up in England.
Some time they mention in the death the town or townland they came from.

Do you know what what kind of farmer was Robert father.

I think you can spell the McFadden name, McFadin, McFaddin, McFadden they are on the 1841 census.

You could send a e-mail to the Donegal resources site that Hallmark gave you and have you ask NSW records for any information on arrival to Australia.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 December 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
You are up against a couple of problems. Firstly, McFadden is a very common surname in Donegal. In the 1901 census there’s 574 (mostly RC). Secondly, very few RC parishes in Donegal have any records for around 1803. (Most start in the 1820s or later). So there is a possibility that even if you knew exactly where Robert was born, you might not find any documentary confirmation of that.

If Ellen was Episcopalian, that’d be the Church of Ireland. A mixed marriage in the 1820s/30s would, in my opinion, probably have taken place in the Church of Ireland, rather than the RC church. (I think RC canon law prohibited it until about 1834 but am open to correction on that).

The Church of Ireland does have some records that go back further than the RC church, but unfortunately many were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin during the civil war.

331 Crawfords in Donegal in the 1901 census, mostly Church of Ireland.

You mention that Ellen McFadden was born in Leck, Co Tyrone c 1826. That’s quite a distance from Donegal but perhaps the family moved.  The RC parish records for Leck (RC parish of Donaghenry) start in 1822, and are on-line free. You can check them on this site: http://registers.nli.ie/parishes

The Church of Ireland records for Leck (Parish of Ballyclog) start in 1818. They are not on-line anywhere, so far as I am aware, but there is a copy in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.

Most farmers would be listed in the tithe applotment records (a form of land tax). Not all the tithes for Co Donegal survive but those that do contain 9 Hugh McFadden households, in the period 1825 - 1834. (Search under McFad* to get all the variant spellings). Each shows the townland where the person lived and their parish. You might want to use that as a way of narrowing your search a bit. (It does of course assume Hugh was still alive when the records were compiled). http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
Elwyn

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 December 16 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn, Thanks for your input, you have just condensed all my problems in a small nutshell!!
Ellen was Robert and Anne's daughter, she was working in Leck at the time they immigrated, so not necessary was born there.  I have also tried the land tax, but it would be a wild guess as only the farmer's name is listed, so no way of confirming if it is the correct Hugh.  Anne Crawford's father is listed as a weaver (does not say what of), could this point me in a particular area, or would weaving still have been a cottage industry?
Thanks Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Hatley (London)