Author Topic: John Truswell Doughty mystery  (Read 7864 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Truswell Doughty mystery
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am also doing my family tree I'm a Doughty. I've come across JTD too. Can anyone help me out with some info my tree is public in Ancestry. Rebecca Keane. My father was George Bernard doughty. But I'm now struggling to get JTD parents not sure if it'd William and mary? Any ideas. Thanks and also what's with the mystery that's cool

Hi can you give us how/why you believe there is a link to JTD when was George Bernard Doughty born and where?
Keyboard86

PS so when/how did Mary Ann Doughty b c 1826 Skegby ( No baptism found) become a Hawson/Howson 1851 to 1861 census?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 December 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Apologies for my delay (manic time of the year) many thanks for the interesting research to date in this bit of a mystery. I shall try and fathom it out in order to make more sense and report back,
Thank you all once again

Regards

Jayhen6
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Lin Devonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 02 February 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi my 2x gt grandfather was John Truswell Doughty.His mother was Ann Truswell baptised 3 Mar 1793 Farnsfield Nottingham England.Her father was Richard Truswell 1763/1814 and her mother was Elizabeth Denman 1769/1826. Ann Truswell was firstly married to Joseph Esam 14 May 1815 Farnsfield Nottingham. It seems as though Joseph later died as Ann then marries William Doughty 14 Feb 1820. John Truswell Doughty has the middle name of his mother's surname. John Truswell married Annie Robson Blyth (who has her mothers surname as her middle name) 16 Sept 1851 St Thomas Bishopwearmouth Sunderland. My gt grandmother Adeline Doughty was born 13 May 1854 Bishopwearmouth. John Truswell Doughty's brother emigrated to Canada (to Halifax I believe). Adeline was on the 1871 census aged 16 as a patient at East End village convalescent home, Barnet, Finchley, Middlesex. Adeline married Frederick John Lewis 14 September 1873 St Philip and St Jacob Bristol.

Offline Lin Devonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello to anyone with interest in John T Doughty my 2xGt grandfather. I've been trying to find information about the robbery of my 2xGt grandmother Annie Robson Blyth/ Doughty.If anyone could  help me to locate the information in the Westmorland Gazzette it would be much appreciated.Many thanks Lin

Offline NoughtyDoughty85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 July 19 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, been wow 2017 last posted. Did anyone find anymore info regarding JTD? Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 July 19 21:11 BST (UK) »

Any thing in particular you are looking to find ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline NoughtyDoughty85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone so between myself and a 2nd cousin - OP, its taken us years but we've managed this so
far. We havent managed to find where he exactly went. The story so far... (Just realised someone posted about the 1871 census with different names as well so good work there!) More of an update really for anyone searching JTD or for anyone who may ideas on searching for him.

- When John Truswell Doughty was born in 1827 in Nottinghamshire, his father, William, was 32 and his mother, Ann, was 34. He married Anne Robson Blyth in July 1851. They had four children in 13 years.

John worked as a draper, and was suspected of being involved in insurance fraud in a fire at his business in 1854 but it would seem that would be the end of his career. The two defendants were aqquitted of the charges. In 1856, whilst he was away on business, his wife was the victim of a robbery where it would seem her servant was arrested and tried but found NOT GUILTY. Both are available to view on the gallery. In 1857, in the birth certificate of his son William Blyth he is listed as 'warehouseman'

After searching for a long time, I found a 1871 census record that listed a John Batley, Anne Batley, George Batley and Alfred Batley, with the children's birth year with 12 months, the places of birth very similar, bar John Truswell Doughty/John Batley whose DOB differs. His job is listed several times as Commercial Travaller and given how JTD is listed as John Batley Wrigley Doughtie in Alfred's birth, I am confident the 1871 census is the Doughty family. Please see the census records and all other records.

TIME LINE SO FAR -

JOHN TRUSWELL DOUGHTY - WHAT WE KNOW..,

(Brother William Doughty born 1820 death 1862, Canada)

B - 1826/EARLY 1827
 F- William Doughty
 M - Ann Truswell

Baptism 25th March 1827 Skegby By Mansfield, Nottingham

1829 Birth of brother James Truswell Doughty Skegby (1829-1874 death Ontario)

1831 Birth of sister Selina 1831 - Letwell, Yorkshire

1841 census residence - East Retford, Notts (age 15) - Draper’s apprentice

1848 Death of mother

16th Sep 1851 - Marriage to Annie Robson Blyth in Durham

June 1852 Birth of son John Edward Doughty - Worksop

Jan 1853 - Defendants committed for trial in the case below in Notts

1854 - Court case where John is listed as having a draper shop in Worksop but now of Manchester. He is described as ‘The prosecutor (John Doughty) was not a trustworthy person after the defendants implicated him in insurance fraud after a fire at his shop.

1856 - Robbery at Chorlton - servants robbed Anne whilst John was travelling on business

1857 - Birth of son William Blyth listed as ‘warehouseman’

1860 - Advert placed in New York Tribune, Feb 1860, JTD, late of Manchester, is earnestly requested to communicate with his friends in England of his brother William, King William Street, Hamilton, Canada West.

1865 - Birth of son Alfred Herbert Doughty registered as - Alfred Herbert Wrigley Doughtie, in Duddingstone, Scotland, - Father John BATELY Wrigley Doughtie Mother - Annie Robson Blyth

1870 Death of father William

1871 CENSUS - Listing as follows -

John Batley - 55 (1836) commercial traveller, Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Annie Batley - 40 (1831) commercial travellers wife, Durham, Sunderland
George Batley - 12 (1859) Manchester, Lancashire
Alfred Bately - 5 (1866) Haddingon, Scotland

1873 - listed in daughter Adeline’s marriage in Bristol as John Doughty - draper

1891 Census shows Annie as widowed, previously census shows still married.

WHAT HAPPENED FROM 1857-1860 to 1871 WHICH PROMPTS HIM TO USE DIFFERENT NAMES, MAYBE GO TO NEW YORK. Did he ever go to New York? Maybe he stayed in England? Need to check known aliases - John Bately, John Batley, John Bately Wrigley Doughtie

Was the newspaper advert in NY a plot to distract attention away from England? Why not mention Annie?