Author Topic: Eli and Jimmy  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Eli and Jimmy
« on: Tuesday 06 December 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please help.  I am researching the career of Rev. Elijah P. Schofield who made headlines around the world in the 40s and 50s for bringing his ventriloquist dummy 'Jimmie' into the pulpit as a preaching partner.

I have a subscription for find my past (British) unfortunately not (world wide) and I wondered if ask some kind person to do a look-up in American newspapers for any articles on him. 

I would appreciate and be very grateful for a full copy of the following snippet and copies of others.  Thank you in advance. 

.... The voice of the stooge, named “Jimmie ’. is that of the Rev. Elijah P. Schofield. Congregational minister... ...doesn't he stop the war'*” Schofield and “Jimmie” discussed the question and “Jimmie” gave this admonition... ...use It a* other talents.” says Schofield. “With non-church - going people it is the revelation that...
02 January 1949 - Abilene Reporter News - Abilene, Texas, United States Of America
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Eli and Jimmy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Buffalo NY Courier Express:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j09/

Rochester NY Democrat Chronicle: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j0a/

Mix of articles: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j0b/

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thank you for the links; appreciated.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Nerys27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I just came across this old post about Elijah Schofield. He was my Grandad. I would be happy to make contact with you if you would like.
Nerys

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Nerys
Good to hear from you.

My name is Royston Smith and you may have heard of me as I have published a book on Brithdir (2017) which featured the story of your grandad Eli.  I presume you are the daughter of either Anne or Gwyn, both shared photos and memories of their visits to Brithdir and the adventures of Eli and Jimmy. 

Regards, Roy

Offline Nerys27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy
Aha now I have connected all the dots lol. Yes I have heard of the book you have written and my mum has a copy to send to me. I am looking forward to reading it. I am in Australia and my mum is Anne.
Take care
Nerys

Offline Greaves37

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Nerys

My mother today said knew Eli Schofield in Edinburgh at university thinking of happy times about 1939 to 1943 so I looked him up and saw your post. He and his friends Stan were in the Highland Society and knew the students and were in the societies. He went to her wedding in the Hyde Park Hotel  London.  Wore a tweed suit. He was described as very jovial, happy, and popular. She knew he was in Leeds for a time and knew the ventriloquist. Amazing your family ended up so far away, only been to Australia twice and it's a long long flight.
She said a pleasure to have known him. Rosemary