Author Topic: Lt. Col. Alexander Agar Agar - born 1909 died 1995. Who was he?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lt. Col. Alexander Agar Agar - born 1909 died 1995. Who was he?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Death notice for George Agar Thompson 22 Sept 1860 Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - July 4 at Inglewood, Victoria, Australia, George Agar Thompson Esq, police magistrate and district warden.

No I don't think you have missed anything, Spidermonkey!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Reginald Angelsmith was prosecuted in Sep 1909 for assaulting a local district nurse in his parish in August of that year.  He had also publicly insulted her in a very unattractive-sounding tirade, very unbecoming of a gentleman let alone (as the reports say) a man of the cloth!  The prosecution was discontinued when he made a public apology at the complainant's request.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Unless I have missed something, we don't yet have the connection (if there is one) between Reginald Walter Angelsmith and Agar Padley Agar.

A few factors point to Agar, rather than Angelsmith, being Alexander's natural father.  The Agar middle name, the long gap since the Angelsmith children of the early 1890s, the marriage announcement saying that Alexander was grandson of Rev. Padley.

See, in my naive way  :-[ I just took that to mean that Alexander was connected by a relation of Ellen Elizabeth!  Although Shaun had suggested a menage a trois, I thought there would be another explanation!!  :-[

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I was also trying to work out how a man of the cloth had got away with marrying a 15/16 year old.  I think they must have met when he was Minor Canon of Bristol  :o

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I was also trying to work out how a man of the cloth had got away with marrying a 15/16 year old.  I think they must have met when he was Minor Canon of Bristol  :o

Pregnancy may have been a factor!
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Agar Padley Agar would appear to have died in Jersey in 1929 and left a will. Perhaps that might reveal if he was the father.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »

Pregnancy may have been a factor!

I would say so - they marry on 2 Jul 1890, first dau born M qtr 1891.  Lucy was baptised on 17 Jul 1874 (ancestry only has transcripts so can't see original parish reg to see if it gives birth date, but I wonder if they married on her 16th birthday?!)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Lucy's birth was registered in Sep qtr 1874, so she certainly was a young infant when baptised. 

Reminds me of my g-g-grandmother who married my g-g-grandfather (twice her age) as a pregnant 16-yr-old in the 1880s  :) 

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Lucy's birth was registered in Sep qtr 1874, so she certainly was a young infant when baptised. 

Reminds me of my g-g-grandmother who married a man twice her age as a pregnant 16-yr-old in the 1880s  :)

I know that it happened (and still does happen) , but I think this is one of the times when my safeguarding and child protection responsibilities as a teacher come to the forefront and override my family history viewpoint, if you know what I mean!  My response is to wonder why on earth there wasn't a huge outcry - but I have checked the newspapers and I can find absolutely nothing!!  Oh well, different times etc!