Author Topic: Marriage Feb 1732 Rayne, Essex: John Fuller (b.1700) and Sarah Hagars (b.1708)  (Read 1009 times)

Offline FNEVIK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Feb 1732 Rayne, Essex: John Fuller (b.1700) and Sarah Hagars (b.1708)
« on: Wednesday 07 December 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I am unable to trace back John Fuller (b. 1700 in Sussex) who married Sarah Hagars (b. 1708).  There is a record of a marriage in 22 (?) February 1732 at Rayne in Essex.  All of there children were born in Essex. Any help or advice in how to search would be greatly appreciated.

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Feb 1732 Rayne, Essex: John Fuller (b.1700) and Sarah Hagars (b.1708)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think he was born in Sussex?
What does the marriage record say?
Where were the children baptised?

Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Feb 1732 Rayne, Essex: John Fuller (b.1700) and Sarah Hagars (b.1708)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
The marriage record is of no help, the date is also in the old style (prior to the change of the year start).
There are numerous trees on Ancestry showing Sussex as the place of birth, unfortunately none of them are sourced and I suspect are incorrect, confusing this John Fuller with one who married a Sarah Groom.

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
So do the years of birth you give also come from unconfirmed Ancestry trees?

Forgetting the Ancestry trees and starting with what you know for sure, you have your couple in Rayne, baptising their children. Have you found a burial for John or Sarah in that area? That will hopefully give an age at death, and therefore you can calculate an approx. year of birth.   
What occupation is given for John at the childrens christenings? - or actually maybe it is too early for any such useful info to be given.
Next move, armed with the correct years of birth, will to start looking at PR's starting with Rayne and working outwards through neighbouring parishes.
Essex PRs are available to search online via the SEAX site, it is a subscription site, or of course in person at the RO in Chelmsford

PS Welcome to Rootschat !
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 December 16 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Where were the children baptised? I can only find a james and Mary fuller baptising their children there?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline FNEVIK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I decided to come forward to Nehemiah Fuller (son of John and Sarah's son).  Ancestry website shows b.1793 d. 21 Apr 1850.  My checks have discovered he was a blacksmith in Witham (Maldon Road).  He committed suicide and the Essex Standard (26 Apr 1850) carries a report of his death stating he was 50 at the time of death.  This would put his birth year as 1800.  I don't know where 1793 came from?  Parish Registers online states that births and deaths were rarely recorded.  Therefore, I don't know where to go to actually confirm dates.  One thing in my favour is the first name, Nehemiah, which is not common.  I thought this would help?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Maldon LAne, Witham

Nehemiah Fuller 45 Blacksmith
Hannah 45
George 15
Samuel 7
Emily Johnson 14

all bn in county

Ages in 1841 census were rounded down to nearest 5 years, or that is what should have been done, but sometimes the rounding was a little random!

Working back, have you found christenings for the children (hopefully more accurate places of birth on later censuses) and Nehmiahs marriage to Hannah?

Essex Parish records are available on the SEAX site (subscription needed) if you cant get to the Essex Record Office to look at them.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk