Author Topic: birth records  (Read 595 times)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth records
« on: Wednesday 07 December 16 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Family lore tells of Irish immigrants giving birth to son while on immigrant ship to New York in 1852/53. If this were to have happened, was there a standard practice of recording the birth? If so, where?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: birth records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Any record made of a birth or death at sea from 1837 onwards was sent directly to the General Register Office and recorded in the Marine Register.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-sea-or-abroad/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Any record made of a birth or death at sea from 1837 onwards was sent directly to the General Register Office and recorded in the Marine Register.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-sea-or-abroad/

Sandra

I believe that would only apply for a birth on a British registered ship.

Have you checked to see if the birth was recorded in New York records? and checked the passenger list? My grandmother's uncle was supposed to have been born on the voyage to America but was actually born in Germany and appears as an infant on the manifest.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 16 19:11 GMT (UK) »
If you would like to share the parents names, ages, etc. we could have a look for you (on passenger lists).

I believe I've seen one or two passenger lists that show "at sea" or something similar (for births). 

Update:  I believe I've also seen a death record that has something similar to
place of birth: off coast of Nova Scotia
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Immigrant couple: John Clinch and wife Ellen. Son: John. Surname for John senior is Linch in 1860 Illinois census, Clynch in 1870 Iowa census, and Clinch on Ellen's (Ellenor) gravestone.
Help is appreciated. John (junior) birth is shown on some records as 12 April, 1852, but I have seen 1853 as well.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Immigrant couple: John Clinch and wife Ellen. Son: John. Surname for John senior is Linch in 1860 Illinois census, Clynch in 1870 Iowa census, and Clinch on Ellen's (Ellenor) gravestone.
Help is appreciated. John (junior) birth is shown on some records as 12 April, 1852, but I have seen 1853 as well.

I'm having difficulty finding John and Ellen(or) on U.S. census returns.  :-\  Would you know their years of birth, please, and in which towns they lived in 1860 and 1870?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 February 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!