Author Topic: Cronin Ballyclogh or Mallow, Cork  (Read 566 times)

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cronin Ballyclogh or Mallow, Cork
« on: Thursday 08 December 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
 Cronin Ballyclogh

Hi,

I am looking to connect a Catherine Cronin,  b. 1818-1819 Mallow to family from the Mallow area, and quite possibly Ballyclogh.  Catherine emigrated to Victoria, Australia in 1841.   Records we have of her are that she was the daughter of Jeremiah Cronin, a farmer and the closest information is that she was born in Mallow.

Looking at the Tithe Appointment books, there is a Jeremiah Cronin listed at Greenone, Kilroe in 1834.  Looking at baptism registrs for Ballyclogh which only start at 1822, there is a baptism record for a Daniel Cronin, son of Jeremiah Cronin and Margaret Leahy from Kanturk on 21 September 1822.  Sponsors for Daniel include Cath Leahy.

Names of Catherine's children in Victoria, Australia include Bridget, Margaret and Denis, all of which from wider searches appear to be names in use in th Ballyclogh parish for Cronins.

This is very much a search for a needle in a haystack I am aware, but I am keen to understand whether there are any other avenues (apart from DNA tests, which in my experience lead to links with other emigrant families, often from the US who come from a similar place) there are for trying to make a connection with anyone with knowledge of this family.

Many thanks any help or suggestions anyone can give,

KESTON.
- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- McDowell - Raloo, Antrim; Garthland, Galloway; Drury, Maketu, NZ
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Bell - Fermanagh, Ireland; Papakura, NZ
- Hanna - Tyrone, Ireland & West Coast NZ
- Burns, Johnston(e), King and Moffat - Peebles, Traquair, Selkirk, Scotland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cronin Ballyclogh or Mallow, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 December 16 09:39 GMT (UK) »
 Looking at baptism registers for Ballyclogh which only start at 1822 ??

Start earlier!!   1807

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0012
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.