Author Topic: Need help with Suffield, CT, deeds  (Read 738 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help with Suffield, CT, deeds
« on: Thursday 08 December 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor was Polly Monroe.  She was born calculated 1779, Connecticut (according to the 1850 census).  She lived in Suffield, Hartford, Connecticut, and married Seth Austin. 

The only Monroe we have been able to find in Suffield records that would be old enough to be her father is Benjamin Monroe.  I was wondering if finding how he acquired the piece of land which he sold in 1794, and how he disposed of the land he bought in 1771, 1778, & 1795, might give a clue to where he was from, who he married, or where he went.

Any ideas to solve this mystery or corrections to my assumptions of when he acquired or when he sold each piece of land, etc., would be most appreciated. 

The only Benjamin Munro deeds in Suffield that I have found are listed.
   He bought a piece of land in 1771 which I cannot find him selling.
[6 acres and this piece of land is doesn't appear to be in the same area as the other pieces of land he buys and sells]
   He bought a piece of land in 1778 which I cannot find him selling.
[4 rods wide, 8 score rods long (160 rods) - 4 acres]
   He bought a piece of land in 1782 which he sold in 1794.
 *He sold a piece of land in 1794 which I cannot find him buying.*
[? about 18 rods wide, 160 rods long ? - 18 acres]
   He bought a piece of land in 1795 which I cannot find him selling.

1.  Abner Granger of Suffield for 100 pounds sold to Benjamen Munrow of Suffield "...all one Lot or parsel of Land it being and Lying in Suffield aforesaid Near one mile North of the Meeting Hous in the Old Society in sd. Suffield Bounding East on High Street North on Consider Willistons West on the Road that Leads over Filers Brook South on Land that belongs to Capt. Benja. Kent & Capt. Jonathan Remington with the buildings their on standing the above Land is the Home Lot where I now Live Containing about six acres be it more or less...."  Dated 5 Sep 1771.  Entered 25 Sep 1771.  Witnesses:  John Leavitt & Benjamin Adams.

2.  Samuel Granger 3rd of Suffield for 40 pounds sold to Benjamin MunRoe of Suffield "...One certain Piece or parcell of Land in Suffield aforesd. containing four Acres, it being a part of my Father Samuel Grangers Home Lot, and given to me by my sd. Father by Will and bounded as follows, West on the Highway that leads from Suffield to Springfield, North on Land given to my Brother Asher late Deceasd, East on Aaron Hallidays Land and South on Land given to my Brother Daniel Grangers Heirs, it being about four Rods in Weadth & Eight Score Rods in Length..."  Dated 1 Sep 1778.  Entered 9 Aug 1780.  Witnesses:  Abner Granger & Erastus Granger.

3.  Abner Granger of Suffield for 15 pounds sold to Benjamin Munroe of Suffield "...One Acre of Land in sd. Suffield bounding West on the Highway known by the Name of Crooked Lane or Springfield Road & North on sd. Benjamins own Land to extend Eastward Sixteen Rods from sd. Highway and from the sd. Benjamins Land Ten Rods Southward...."  Dated 14 May 1782.  Entered 15 June 1795.  Witnesses:  Joseph King 2nd & Amasa Bushnell.

4.  Benja. Munrow of Suffield for 130 pounds sold to Benjamin Adams of Suffield "...two certain Pieces or parcells of Land, being and lying in said Suffield viz. the Home Lot wherein I now live both Pieces to contain Nineteen Acres and Bounded as followeth, the West End bounds on the Highway that leads to Springfield the North Side Bounds on Capt. Phinehas Lovejoys Land to extend Easterly the whole length of sd. Lovejoys Home Lot to Land lately belonging to Oliver Phelps Esqr. now Abner Grangers & to extend South from sd. Lovjoys Lot so far as to make Eighteen Acres, being of equal weadth at both Ends, the East End & South Side bound on Land of Abner Granger, and One Other Piece of Land containing one Acre adjoining South of the afore Described Land, and bounded as follows the West End Bounds on the aforesd. Highway On the North upon the above Described Piece of Land the East End South Side bounds on sd. Grangers Land it being Ten Rods wide North and South by the Highway & Sixteen Rods long East and West from sd. Highway...."  Dated 4 Oct 1794.  Entered 23 Jan 1795.  Witnesses:  Abner Granger & Elisha Gunn.

5.  Abner Granger of Suffield for 12 pounds sold to Benja: Munrow late of Suffield "....one certain Piece of Land containing four Acres lying & being in sd. Suffield it being the Same Land my Honred Father gave to his Son Ashir Granger and is bounded West on the Highway that leads to Springfield & North on Land given to my Brother Daniel Grangers Heirs & East on my own Land and South on Land given to my Sister Hannah Kent...."  Dated 30 May 1795.  Entered 15 June 1795.  Witnesses:  Seth Granger & Betsey Granger.

Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Suffield, CT, deeds
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link.  I used to correspond with Colleen E. Johnson on the Monroe possibilities.  I looked up the Benjamin Monroe of Montague, Massachusetts, but he looks like a different person than the Benjamin Monroe of Suffield, Connecticut.  I appreciate every clue or possibility, because one day I am hoping to get a winner. 
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
This may have been suggested in the past, but looking at an online tree for Seth Austin and his wife, Polly Monroe, it appears one child was named
Homer Monroe Austin.

Could Homer have been named after Polly's father, uncle or other relative?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 17 02:48 BST (UK) »
That is a wonderful suggestion, that I had not thought about before!  I guess I just assumed Benjamin Monroe was her father, and that Charles & John Monroe of Suffield were her brothers, that I hadn't really thought about a "Homer Monroe" being a relative.  The funny thing is I did think that their daughter "Sophia Mosely" Austin could have been named after a family member, or at least the Mosely part. 

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 05:07 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about Sophia Mosely as well as Caroline Elnora.

Also, have you tried to follow the lines of Seth's and Polly's children, to see if any of the grandchildren were named after a Monroe ancestor?  [My ancestor's brother was named after their great-grandfather.  You never know when a name may pop up again.]   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the additional ideas. I have the names of some of their grandchildren, but not their great grandchildren.  One of their grandchildren is "Charles Monroe" Champlin, so I really believe "Charles Monroe" is Polly's brother. 

I haven't been able to find Seth & Polly's son Homer Monroe Austin.  I think he is the Homer M Austin who enlisted in the US Army February 14, 1831, in Hartford, Connecticut, and deserted May 1, 1831, and the Homer Austin who enlisted March 12, 1839, in Hartford, Connecticut, and deserted July 14, 1839. What happened to him after 1839? Julius Augustus Caesar Austin's son thought Homer might have gone to Texas.