Author Topic: Haynes/Haines family Tilehurst  (Read 4026 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haynes/Haines family Tilehurst
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 December 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, that's the Henry I referred to, not 'my' Henry John.

How did you get back to this Henry, maybe we can figure out which one is 'your' Henry if you could let us know that.

If yours is the 1823 one then I can look into that to see if he's associated with my family, reasonable possibility as not too many Haines's in Tilehurst at that time.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 December 16 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Henry Haynes
England Births and Christenings
Name   Henry Haynes
Gender   Male
Christening Date   21 Sep 1823
Christening Place   TILEHURST,BERKSHIRE,ENGLAND
Father's Name   William Haynes
Mother's Name   Ann

The only reason I think this is my Henry Haynes is because Sarah was also born in Tilehurst so not looking that good at the moment                                                                             

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 December 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a William Haynes to Ann Hunt on 17 Nov 1822, witnesses Harriett Carr and Charles Osborn.  This looks likely for Henry's parents as his baptism on 21 Sep 1823 fits nicely.  Unfortunately the records at that time did not state whether they were of the parish or another parish.

There are no previous or subsequent baptisms for any more of William's and Ann's children for ten years either side of the above marriage.

There are no burials for either within the probable age / date range.

There are no subsequent marriages for either suggesting the other spouse had died.

There is no record of a baptism for Sarah Haynes or any other spelling (Hains,  Haines or Hayens) in the time frame which suggests she was either not baptised or was baptised elsewhere.

An Ann Haynes is a witness at the marriage of William Staniford and Sarah Bristow on 25 Oct 1840 which could be William's wife as no other Ann Haynes records.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 December 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thinking about the above, I think that your Henry is not my Henry John and William, his father, is not related to my known ancestry - leastways I can't find any reference to him and I did record all Haines of all spellings to see if there were links anywhere.

It's a mystery where Sarah was baptised and why not at Tilehurst.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 December 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. Artifis you have done all you can, sorry for taking up your time. My mother had black hair and looked Italian/Spanish. Her sister had dark hair and a very dark skin and looked Italian. It became a family mystery how they got this colouring. it came from the Leach side and as my mothers grandfather married Sarah Haynes I thought it may have come from Sarah's mother. Henrys wife.  Recently I did a DNA test to see if I can link up that way. It turns out I have 8% Sardinain blood so our  suspicions may be correct. I may never know

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 December 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
No problem, been an interesting exercise.  Shame no record of Sarah at Tilehurst but that's the way it goes sometimes.  The fact that William was a labourer would suggest that he'd moved to Tilehurst for work - there were a number of large estates and many large farms there at the time,  It's likely that Henry followed him workwise and may also have had to move to where jobs were available.

Tilehurst at William's time was spread about a large area on the top of a hill, there was a focal point around the church but the village with shops developed a couple of miles or so away. The hill dropped away all round Tilehurst and immediately south of the church area was the edge of the escarpment dropping down to the River Kennet valley and the A4 Bath Road connecting London and Bath. A road came up the hill from the Bath Road and went past the church but before it did so it passed the house built in 1739 that I lived in for the first ten years of my life.  It was built as an extension to a much older farm house, probably 100-150 years older, and was built specifically to be a local coaching inn call the Fox - the farm was Fox Farm. A cousin spotted a painting of the inn in a local antiques shop on a Sunday morning but when he went there mid morning Monday it had been sold which was a shame as it dated from the era when people were drawn with speech bubbles. Unfortunately the farm and our cottage on the end were pulled down mid 1950s by the local council to make way for a massive council housing estate - another farm house of the same period was also destroyed.  Nowadays these would have been listed as apart from parts of the church were the oldest buildings in Tilehurst, luckily I have a photo of it dated early 1900s and a water colour painting painted about 1920 so something for my records.

Very interesting what your DNA results show, part of your question answered at least.

Feel free to come back to me if you want any other info.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 December 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes it has been interesting and Tilehurst sound quite nice, must take a look on google earth.

i will keep at it and yes I will let you know if I get a firm result and I would ask you again if getting in a mess Thanks again

John

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:59 GMT (UK) »
John, have you looked through all the 1871 census pages for Tilehurst to see if you can spot the family?  Sometimes a search doesn't pick people up because of mistranscription, or even a wrong surname because of a misunderstanding.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi  No I have not looked at this list. Where would I find this information.

Thanks