Author Topic: Haynes/Haines family Tilehurst  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Haynes/Haines family Tilehurst
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 December 16 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there's anywhere you can view the 1871 census pages without a subscription, but we can look if you don't have access. 

ETA  I've looked through the first district, but didn't spot a likely family with a Sarah of about the right age.  The enumerator's handwriting was diabolical though, so who knows!

District 2 is in another hand, and looks easier to decipher.  I'll take a look tomorrow if I get time, unless someone else does it first.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 December 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thats great thank you so much. I have access to GenesReunited and family search but cant find her anywhere.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, John, I've looked through 1871 Tilehurst and nothing stands out.  It does pay to keep an open mind though, as I have found people recorded under the wrong name before.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Never mind, thanks so much for taking the trouble.

Sarah was said to be been in Tilehurst. I believe she was married in St Michaels. Do you think this church will still keep their old  records?

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Isn't this her marriage at St Peter's, Norbiton, Surrey.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes without doubt. Thank

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 December 16 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'd checked for Sarah at Tilehurst under all headings, baptisms-marriages-deaths, but hadn't found any trace of her.

The problem at that time at Tilehurst was that the parish church was towards the southern end and lower populated area of what was a very large parish and I've found with some of my ancestors there that they found it nearer and obviously more convenient to go to one of the other parishes on the western, northern and eastern sides. The attached map shows the parish boundary with adjacent parish churches highlighted.  Some of my ancestors seemed to have used Purley a lot rather than St Michaels.

The other problem I've found in the past generally is that people state they were born at such and such place whereas they were brought up there from a very early age but born elsewhere, this particularly occurred with agricultural labourers some of whom seemed to move about quite a lot I guess as the jobs occurred.

I've also attached a photo of the old house I lived in - the small bit at the far end - this was typical of the farms in that area so your William and Henry would have been familiar with such.

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 December 16 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Looks such a nice place. Is it still the same now?

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 December 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, like an almost identical farmhouse minus the far extension, it was pulled down by the council in the mid 1950s to make way for an enormous council housing estate, many farms were compulsorily purchased and thriving livelihoods taken away.  Today the building would be listed and the council could not demolish but then they did just what they wanted.  OK it was in dire need of modernisation, no running water only well water, no sewerage connection, gas lighting only down stairs candles upstairs plus building maintenance works but today with a bit of land it would be worth in excess of £1.5 million today at a conservative estimate.

For some reason the map of the parish didn't attach to my last post so I've tried again.