Author Topic: Haynes/Haines family Tilehurst  (Read 4027 times)

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haynes/Haines family Tilehurst
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 December 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
The 1960 period was a disaster for this sort of thing.

I was brought up in Middlesbrough a Victorian town. The nearby town of Stockton on Tees was much older with the widest High Street in Britain.  Elizabethan / Georgian/Victorian  properties of quality, with the river running behind. It had interesting twisting alleyways. It all came down for a concrete shopping centre and overhead car park. Now its horrible. Yarm just outside Stockton was preserved. That is why I love Italy so much. In the main they preserve their heritage.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 15 December 16 12:23 GMT (UK) »
We are appalling at doing that, we seem to be content to just smash up all our old buildings creating the generally monstrosities instead as you describe then moan that they have no character. Hastings was like that, they blitzed at least half of the old town and now moan that they haven't the winding streets and alleyways that Bristol for instance still has, the buildings in which are worth a fortune. Two of my ancestors in succession ran a pub there in part of the old town that still exists but it and two adjoining old properties were pulled down and some absolutely hideous 1960s block of flats built in their place, this has 'weathered' extremely badly and now looks only fit for demolition whereas the remaining old buildings of my ancestor's pub's age in the area still look brilliant.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 December 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I put a lot of it down to sanitation and services.  In the 50s and 60s newer homes all had running water and electricity, bathrooms and indoor toilets, whereas old houses did not, and needed extensive upgrading and renovation.  So the trend was for people wanting to live in modern homes.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 15 December 16 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Totally agree.  The well water we had however proved to be purer than the water the local water company put into their mains at the pumping station, they came in all bluster etc. saying we must go on mains water, took some samples to prove it and had to come back with their tails between their legs to confess they were very wrong.  :)

At Hastings it was all to put in a new 'relief' road that nobody really wanted and from what I understand didn't completely achieve its aim anyway.