Author Topic: Murder 1825 Pulteneytown James SMALL  (Read 2189 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murder 1825 Pulteneytown James SMALL
« on: Thursday 08 December 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
In the Caithness monumental inscriptions (borrowed from the Queensland State Library) in the Wick Old cemetery, grave no. 1385, there is a note: ed Dav Small imo Jas Small mate of the Rose of Wick lost life Pt harbour 3.12.1825 23, da Eliz 12.11.1818. Note: James Small said to be murdered by Henderson, Farquhar, Jameson, Durrand, in a public house in Lower Pulteney and taken from there and thrown over the North Quay.
Since I am descended from David SMALL and Jannet TAIT of Wick, I would very much appreciate any further information about this.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murder 1825 Pulteneytown James SMALL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 December 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
From the British Newspaper Archive-it looks as though the men accused of the murder didn't go to trial until 1830.

“... perpetrated so long ago Dec. 1823—it is the trial of Durrand, Jamieson, and Henderson, three sailors, for the alleged murder of James Small, seaman, by felling him to the ground with a glass bottle or candlestick, in a house at Lower Palteneytown, in Wick. The ... ”

Wednesday 15 September 1830 ,  Inverness Courier ,  Inverness-shire, Scotland

“... Wick, dug the grave of James Small, and was present when the body was lifted. The coflin lifted was that of J>mes Small. Janies M‘iteath, master of the smack Thistle of Wick, was in master of the ship Rose, in which James Small was mate. Witness last ... ”
Wednesday 22 September 1830 ,  Inverness Courier ,  Inverness-shire, Scotland

Maureen

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 December 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Maureen. I musn't have searched as far as that date, so I'll try again.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
If you go here:

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx

Click on Search, Enter Durrand Year enter 1825 and 1835

Select JC26/1830/397 and for a fee you can receive a copy and find out why the charges were dismissed.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 December 16 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you.
I couldn't find Maureen's 2 articles, but through Brisbane City Council library I could access British Library Newspapers, and found an account of the trial in Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Saturday, September 25, 1830; Issue 17035. Surnames mentioned, even in passing or in relation to their residence, in case others are interested, were ALISON, BAIN, BRUCE, BUDGE, CAMERON, CAMPBELL, DURRAND, FARQUHAR, GOAN or GOAR (?), GROAT, GUNN, HARPER. HARROW, HENDERSON, HORNE, HUNTER, JAMIESON, LEVACK, MACBEATH OR MCBEATH, MACDOUGAL, MACKAY, MACKENZIE, MACKINTOSH, MCLEOD, MEADOWBANK, MILLER, NEAVES, NICOL, REID, SINCLAIR, SMALL, SUTHERLAND, SWANSON, TAYLOR & THOMSON. Someone had to be committing perjury!
There's another similar report in The Aberdeen Journal (Aberdeen, Scotland), Wednesday, September 29, 1830; Issue 4316.
I'm pretty convinced that the James SMALL in the trial and the grave note was the son of my David SMALL and Jannet TAIT. I think the Elizabeth in the grave note must be his sister, and the David who erected the headstone must be "my" David, husband of Jannet TAIT. Does that sound right?

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 December 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the ambaile.org.uk web site in the Newspaper Index section you can request email download of report from Inverness journal in 24 th Sept 1830 edtition about trial.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.