Author Topic: 1821 or 1841 lookup request  (Read 4749 times)

Offline patricknunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1821 or 1841 lookup request
« on: Monday 25 July 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've spent lots of pennies online and getting nowhere fast in my search for records relating to John Milham.

According to all census material above 1861, he was born in Chiddingly, Sussex but alas, I get no joy.  Can anyone help?  He was born 1819 and was married to Martha b.1821.

Thanks

Pat
Nunn, Styles, Milham, Wood, Farnes, Watts, Teague, Welch, Venn, Turner

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1821 or 1841 lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

This is probably their marriage
MILHAM, John and WREN Martha   
Record Type: Marriages   
Quarter:     March   
Year:   1839   
District:   Hailsham    
County:   Sussex   
Volume:   7   
Page:   407

Chiddingly is in the Hailsham District.

I have done some limited research for a friend into the MILHAM family of Chiddingly, earliest census I have is as follows I wouldn't mind hazzarding a guess that this is his family, especially as he was a bricklayer.

1841 Census
HO107/ 1118/ Sched 22/ Page6

Willetts, Chiddingly

MILHAM John, 45, Bricklayer
............ Sarah, 40
............ William, 20, Bricklayer
............ Henry, 15
............ Richard, 7
............ George, 5
............ Naomi, 2
............ Edward, 1

Suggest you order the Marriage Certificate and see who his father was.

I would think it was the above John as before that  the MILHAM's were in Sedlescombe, Sussex.

Hope this might help.
Roma   

Offline patricknunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Roma

Thanks so much for this information.  Having lived in Hailsham most of my childhood I somehow presumed that Chiddingly had come under another district.  Now it all makes sense.  Thank you thank you.

I have a list of his children from the 1961 census onwards.  I would agree that I would need to access the Marriage certificate in order to obtain his fathers name before I can preceed any further.  But incase you or your friend need my findings, I have detailed them below.

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

Pat

The 1861 census reveals that John Milham lived at 8 Brook Street, St John’s under the Castle, Lewes, Sussex along with his wife Martha and their seven children.  John was perusing his trade as a bricklayer/businessman and it appears that Martha was a dress maker.  Their seven children were:

Margaret J Milham (b.1839, Lewes) – aged 22, occupation: Home Servant
Maria Milham (b.1846, Lewes) – aged 15
Joseph Milham (b. Sept 1848, Lewes) – aged 13
Philadelphia Milham (b. 1852, Lewes) – aged 9
Job  Milham (b. 1855, Lewes) – aged 6
John Milham (b. 1858, Lewes) – aged 3
Martha Milham (b.1860, Lewes) – 7 months

There is also an entry for a grandson called George (jr?) (b.1861) – 2 months which most probably belonged to Margaret.

Between 1861 and 1871, the family moved to Spring Gardens within the same area of St John’s under the castle, Lewes.  According to the 1871 census, John remained within the bricklaying business. Martha probably stayed at home as there is no entry for Martha’s occupation.  The two oldest children, Margaret and Maria had left home leaving the three boys Joseph, Job and John.  John and Martha had another child in 1863 called Ruth.  The entry for the children at Spring Gardens in 1871 is detailed below:

Joseph Milham (b.1848, Lewes) – aged 23 (occupation – Tobacconist Master)
Job Milham (b. 1855, Lewes) – aged 15 (occupation – Bricklayer Labourer)
John Milham (b. 1858, Lewes) – aged 12 (occupation – Errand Boy Tobacconist)
Ruth Milham (b.1863, Lewes) – aged 8

The census also details a granddaughter called Charlotte (b.1866, Lewes) aged 5 and is probably the daughter of Joseph.

In the 1881 census, the address of John and Martha is confirmed as 7 Spring Gardens.
Aged 62, John is still a Bricklayer and Martha, now 60, still has no occupation registered.  The only child now remaining within their household was Job, now aged 25 and registered as a bricklayer labourer probably working for his father.

It is interesting to note that in 1881, Joseph (aged 32) now lived at 2 Landsdown Terrace, Lewes, Sussex with his wife Sally H (b. 1843, Lewes), aged 37.  Joseph was still a Tobacconist but more interestingly, the census also adds the entry ‘harmonium maker’.  Joseph and Sally also lived with their five children as detailed below:
Elizabeth M Milham (b.1873, Lewes) – aged 8
Florence A Milham (b.1874, Lewes) – aged 7
Joseph A? Milham (b.1876, Lewes) – aged 5
Edith Milham (b.1878, Lewes) – aged 3
Ellen Milham (b.1880 Lewes) – aged 1

Between 1881 and 1891, John and Martha moved to 12 Westgate Street, St Michael’s, Lewes.  Aged 72, John is still registered as a Bricklayer and Martha, now has no occupation registered.  Their granddaughter Charlotte is registered as a visitor (no occupation) however, her surname has changed to Hutton.  The other two entries must therefore be her children.  The youngest is John Hutton (b. 1891? Plumstead, Kent) – aged 2 months?, registered as the grandson and Edith Milham (b. 1887, Lewes) – aged 4, registered as the granddaughter

Joseph and Sally Milham are registered at 35 Landsdown Terrace, Lewes aged 42 and 47 respectively.  John is still a Tobacconist and harmonium maker. The two eldest children,  Elizabeth and Florence, have moved out. Joseph, now 14, is registered as a Dirfus? Assistant.  Edith is now 13 and Ellen, 11.  There are now two new additions detailed below:
Frank A? Milham (b.1883, Lewes) – aged 8
Ruth M Milham (b.1885, Lewes) – aged 6
John Milham passed away in Lewes on March 1894.

Joseph and Sally are still registered at 35 Landsdown Terrace in 1901 although Joseph, now aged 52, is now registered as having his ‘own account’ as a Tobacconist.  Sally is now 57 and three of their children still remain within the household.  Ellen is 21 and Frank is 18 but are not given any occupation details.  However, Ruth, aged 16, is recorded as working as a cashier for a grocery store.

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Glad I could be of help, thanks for the information on your John and family.

Apart from 1841 Census I also have these details regarding the elder John. my friend is descendent of William b 1819

1861 Census

RG9/569   
Registration district:        Hailsham    
Sub-registration district:        Hellingly    
Folio:        51    
Page:        10    

Stream Mill, Chiddingly, Sussex   

John Milham   abt 1792   Sedlescombe, Sussex   Head    Bricklayer and Farmer of 20 Acres
Sarah Milham   abt 1799   East Hoathly, Sussex   Wife    
George Milham   abt 1836   Chiddingley, Sussex   Son    Bricklayer

Milham, John   
Death: Age at death: 85 September 1877 Hailsham 2b 49

Let me know when you have the marriage certificate
I might have some more details by then.

Regards
Roma

Offline patricknunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
Roma

Once again, thanks for the additional information.  It seems that my John Milham was probably the eldest of the Milham family in Chiddingly (born approx 1819) and would probably have left the family by 1939 when he married Martha Watson.  Apart from the 1861 census, all others state his birth place as Chiddingly.  As you suggest, his continuing career as a bricklayer seems to point heavily to the same family you mentioned.

I have indeed ordered the marriage certificate in the hope that we can indeed prove the above theory.

If you find anymore information on the Sedlescombe family, I'd be most interested.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything.

Many thanks again

Pat

Offline patricknunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Roma

I ought to point out that according to your correspondance with Chris1066, he clearly detailed that the father of your William Milham was also a William and not a John and you stated in my email.

A vital error which could throw us all  ::)

Perhaps you may need to ammend your records if you have it as William and not John.

Thanks

Pat

Offline patricknunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 13:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry Roma

Don't mean to drive you nuts .... but all census records that I have found (1861 for example) states quite clearly that JOHN is the correct first name and not WILLIAM as Chirs1066 suggests.

Any ideas?

Pat

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

All my research suggests his name is John and I must admit that I did change it from William as later Census (1861)and also death record suggest it is John.

I apologise if I didn't mention it but just went out of my mind.

Do you agree that it is John not William.

I think the only way we could find out for sure is to find the Parish Records of Sedlescombe.

Regards
Roma

Offline patricknunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 July 05 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Roma

Definately agree it is John.  I found some info from another posting and have combined it with my own research.  Hope it helps.

The first documented evidence of any Milham within this line of enquiry details a marriage in Ewhurst, Sussex (north of Battle) of James Milham and Esther Sergeant on the 15th January 1787.  It would appear that they had five children and from the British Isles Vital Records Index, the following details are given:

John Milham bapt 12 Oct 1794 Ewhurst parents John & Hester (John could be an error)
(boy) Millham bapt 28 Oct 1791 parents James & Hester (Millham could be an error)
Thomas Milham bapt 24 Jan 1793 parents James & Hester
James Milham bapt 20 Jun 1802 parents James & Hester
William Millham bapt 18 Jun 1809 parent James & Esther

It seems that James and Esther decided to move from Ewhurst and settled a few miles further south in Sedlescombe before having their third child, John.