Author Topic: Birth of Ann COUPE 1812 Quebec  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
Birth of Ann COUPE 1812 Quebec
« on: Thursday 08 December 16 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that some kind soul can help with further details of the baptism of Ann COUPE in 1812 in Quebec. Her baptism comes up as a hint in my ancestry tree from the 'Drouin Collection' . Unfortunately, I don't have a Canadian subscription.

It is possible that Ann COUPE is Ann Sophia COPE, born in Quebec but back in Derbyshire, England by 1833 where she married Benjamin CLARK in Aston on Trent. I suspect she was the daughter of an English soldier stationed in Canada at the time.

Very greatful for any assistance.

Darryl
Sydney, Australia
SMEDLEY, Sawley DBY & Sydney NSW
PELLOW, Cornwall
OLSEN, Norway (yes I know, there is a lot of them!)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Ann COUPE 1812 Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 16 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darryl,
"Ann, daughter of John Coupe, private soldier in the first battalion of the eighth, or Kings Regiment of Foot, and Sarah his wife, was born January 26th, and baptised February 16th, in the year of our Lord 1812, by me Salter Jehosaphat Mountain, officiating minister at Quebec." There are godparents listed as present but I can't read their names.

Cheers,
Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 December 16 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that Jo, very helpful indeed as it gives me some more data to search. Some quick reading reveals that the Eighth Regiment of Foot was very active in the war of 1812 with many casualties. Nothing yet to say that Ann COUPE is my Ann Sophia COPE but it opens up some possibilities whereas an hour or so ago I had none!

Thanks again, Darryl
PELLOW, Cornwall

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 December 16 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past has discharge document for John Coupe of the 1st Battalion 8th (Or Kings) Regiment Of Infantry. It indicates he was discharged on 3 Aug 1815 in Montreal due to the loss of use of his right hand due to an abscess. He had been in the 8th Foot from 16 Jul 1794 to 24 Apr 1815. It also says he was born in the Parish of Kirlington, Nottingham and was about 41 when he was discharged.

The UK, Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Regimental Registers of Pensioners Who Served in Canada database at Ancestry has an entry for John Coupe of the 8th Foot who was admitted to the hospital on 19 Sep 1815.

There is another entry for John and Sarah Coupe in the Drouin Collection. Their son William died 27 Sep 1810 and was buried on 28 Sep. He was 17 months old. I haven't been able to find a birth for him which could probably help with proving whether or not this is the right family.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 December 16 10:22 GMT (UK) »
This is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry about the 8th Foot's movements between 1802 and 1815 which might help with finding other children of John and Sarah:

Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812

The regiment was sent to Gibraltar in 1802 and returned to England in 1803. It landed at Cuxhaven in Germany in October 1805 but was withdrawn in February 1806 before taking part in the Battle of Copenhagen in August 1807.

The 1st Battalion moved to Canada in 1808 as the Napoleonic Wars extended to the Americas. Within a year, in January 1809, the battalion had embarked at Barbados with an expeditionary force comprising two divisions assembled to invade Martinique. Although a number of engagements with the French garrison preceded the island's seizure, disease represented the principal threat to Britain's five-year occupation. By October 1809, some 1,700 of more than 2,000 casualties had succumbed to disease. The 8th Foot returned to Nova Scotia in April, having had its commanding officer, Major Bryce Maxwell, and four others killed in a skirmish with French soldiers on the Surirey Heights during the advance on Fort Desaix in February. When sustained tension between the United States and Britain culminated in the War of 1812, the 1st and 2nd battalions were based in Quebec and Nova Scotia respectively.

Sporadic raids into Canada on the eastern frontier provided impetus for a former regimental officer, Lieutenant-Colonel "Red" George MacDonnell, to encroach into New York State and attack Ogdensburg in February 1813. To reach their destination, the 8th Foot and Canadian militia had to traverse across the frozen St. Lawrence River and through dense snow. After gaining control of the fort following close-quarters battle, the British destroyed the main barracks and three anchored vessels, and departed with provisions and prisoners. Ogdensburg would not be reestablished as a frontier garrison, ensuring relative peace in the region.

In April 1813, two companies of the 8th, elements of the Canadian militia, and Native American allies attempted to repulse an American attack on York (present-day Toronto). As the Americans landed on the shoreline, the grenadier company engaged them in a bayonet charge with 46 killed, including its commanding officer, Captain Neal McNeale. The Americans nevertheless overwhelmed the area but subsequently incurred 250 casualties, notably General Zebulon Pike, when retreating British regulars detonated Fort York's Grand Magazine.

While garrisoning Fort George, at Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), in May 1813 with companies of the Glengarries and Runchey's Company of Coloured Men, the 8th Foot attempted to disrupt an amphibious landing by the Americans. Although numerically inferior, the British delayed the invasion and retreated without disorder. In June 1813, the 8th and 49th regiments assaulted an American encampment at Stoney Creek. Five companies from the two British regiments engaged more than 4,000 Americans in a nocturnal battle. Although the Americans had two brigadiers captured and suffered losses, the British commander, Colonel John Harvey, considered the possibility of his opponents realising their numerical advantage too compelling to ignore and withdrew.

In July 1814 the regiment fought in the Battle of Chippawa in which the British commander General Phineas Riall retreated after he misidentified American regulars for militia. Later in the month, the regiment fought in the Battle of Lundy's Lane. The British, Canadian and Native soldiers, under the command of Lieutenant-General Gordon Drummond, engaged the American force. It was one of the bloodiest battles recorded on Canadian territory. The following month, the King's took part in the action at Snake Hill during the siege of Fort Erie. In September 1814 the Americans attacked the British posts with overwhelming force and the regiment suffered heavy losses. The King's Regiment received the battle honour 'Niagara' for its contributions to the war. The regiment landed back in England in summer 1815.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_(The_King's)_Regiment_of_Foot#Napoleonic_Wars_and_the_War_of_1812

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 December 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
If you live near a Family History Center (the familysearch folk), you can apparently order in films containing military records. See link below and click on Soldiers' documents for the relevant regiment. Each film covers a range of names...it looks like you would need v. 295. The records may provide additional info for you.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/regiments-infantry.html

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jacquie and polarbear, I have been working the weekend and have only just seen your messages. Thank you so much for the extra data allowing more for follow-up on my Ann COOP possibly now COUPE.

There's some good leads there, especially that John COUPE was form Nottinghamshire which county is adjacent to Derbyshire.

Regards, Darryl
PELLOW, Cornwall