Author Topic: John Campbell born 1897 died Q4 1954 in Shardlow  (Read 1377 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Campbell born 1897 died Q4 1954 in Shardlow
« on: Friday 09 December 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there might be an obituary or any other information about this person?

He might be the John Campbell I am trying to find in the records, who was born in London on 4th Oct 1897 (I have his birth cert), appeared on the 1901 census with his mother and siblings in London, and then was cared for by his aunt (Kate Smith) and uncle (Norman Trevor Smith) from early 1902 when the Smiths lived at Highfield House, Eastmoor Drive, Carlton, Nottingham.  The Smiths were no longer at this address by the end of Jan 1903, with Kate and her two children going to South Africa later that year, but John does not appear on passenger lists or in the 1911 census for the family back in England (Mr Smith died in South Africa).

I guess John either died or was sent to the local workhouse, or perhaps sent to Canada for example, as many children were, but would seem too young for that. I probably need to visit a local library to find out more. FreeBMD came up with a death record of John Campbell of the right age in Shardlow so wonder if it could be him.

If anyone has access to obituaries I wonder if there is more info about this person, so I could see if he is possibly 'mine' or no connection at all.

All advice welcome!

Thanks.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Campbell born 1897 died Q4 1954 in Shardlow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunately it does nt look like its your John.
Probate
Campbell John of Autumn Grove, Chaddeston, Deby died 28th Nov 1954. Administration to Louisa Jane Campbell widow.
If you have access to the 1939 register you will find his birth date is not Oct 4th 1897
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 December 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi could you post details of his mother's name and sibling's and where they were living
Rosie

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 16 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cath151 - at least that eliminates him.

Rosie17 - thanks for your interest but mother and siblings whereabouts are not useful.  The children were taken into care as there mother was sent to an asylum (in Dec 1901, and she died in there), and his siblings went to different foster families in Berkshire.  John was the only one taken in by family.  The workhouse notes state that the uncle paid for the children's care initially but then handed them over to the workhouse once it was clear the mother was not going to recover quickly.  So the Smith family took him to their home in Notts.  However, the workhouse notes show 'Gone away. No address 26.1.03', so it seems they lost track of the child.

I can't find Norman Smith travelling to S Africa, but once there he ran a shop.  Kate and the Smiths' own two children are on passenger lists for April 1903, so I don't know where they where for those few months between.  Norman died in S Africa, and in the 1911 census Kate and her two boys are back in England. 

I had thought John might have been sent to his grandmother (workhouse record shows: Ann Matthews, Baystone, Florence Rd, Chester Rd, n/t Birmingham. Widow. Lets lodgings), but the record also states she died in Dec 1902.  I suppose he could have gone to her, then gone into the workhouse in Birmingham?

I have not been able to find John on passenger lists, or death records for Notts or Warks for a John Campbell around 1902/3.

Frustrating that this child seems to have evaporated!

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Maybe John was sent to Canada as a home child the parents names might help finding him if perhaps he was sent overseas
Rosie

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie17 - sorry been offline for past few days.

What age were children sent to Canada?  He would have only been 5 when the Smiths went to S Africa. 

His mother was Ann(ie) Campbell and father was 'John Campbell' but that may have been a fictitious name.  Even if that was the father's name, Annie was not married, although referred to herself and throughout by the workhouse/asylum as Mrs Campbell and a widow.  The doctor who attended Annie's confinements stated that 'a Mr Campbell had never been seen'.  The other children were also referred to throughout their lives as Campbells.  I have tracked the lives of mother and the two siblings from birth to death with a lot in between, but the child John Campbell seems to have disappeared without trace.  I think there may be a record in an archive somewhere that is not available online - either in Notts or Birmingham. 

I have looked at the London workhouse records in case he was returned to his parish, but there is nothing, other than the workhouse must have been keeping contact with the family in order to note the grandmother's death and the 'gone away' comment for the Smiths.

I made a mistake earlier by saying Kate Smith and the Smiths two boys sailed in April 1903 - in fact they went on 19th March.  I had wondered if Kate stayed with her brother, George Crook, before leaving.  However I cannot find George in the 1901 census (he was born Q4 1869 Calne, Wiltshire, and sometimes the name was written as Croak - perhaps how they pronounced it or just bad spelling).  He was in Calne in 1881 as a schoolboy, then in 1891 in Lambeth as a warehouseman's clerk. 

Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi did work out the mothers name being Crook I'm afraid I can't find any record to tie up with him on the 1911 census ...I might be wrong but I think the ages of home children were 4-14 ..
Rosie

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Yes, mother's name was Crook but not known by this name.

I have just found John Campbell's grandmother's second marriage details - thanks freebmd - I have been looking on other sites but not found this before. 

So grandmother Ann married William Matthews in Bakewell in 1889 so now I'll be able to search the census for later years to try to find them in Derbyshire, as I couldn't find them in Birmingham in 1901.  Also might have a chance of finding when/where William died. Perhaps John Campbell went to them in 1902 and then went to a workhouse in their area?

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 December 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Now found Ann Matthews in Nottingham in 1891 and a widow in Sutton Coldfield in 1901, along with her widowed daughter in law and children.  No John Campbell but that would be before his aunt/uncle went to S Africa.  Next job is to look for daughter in law in 1911 - in Derby - maybe John Campbell lived with her family.
Crook, Bannister, Warren