Author Topic: Wyatt family and the Wyatt tin box company of Southwark  (Read 2695 times)

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wyatt family and the Wyatt tin box company of Southwark
« on: Friday 09 December 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I could do with some advice on how to see if my Wyatt family tree and the Wyatt tin box company latterly of Tanner St, Southwark are related (building demolished just a few years ago).

On the Wyatt family side I know the occupation tin plate worker goes back to the 1841 census, with the family in Shoreditch and Bethnal Green and the trade being adopted by most sons, however around 1870-1880 it appears the bulk of the family moved to Southwark, and I know brothers William and Edward Wyatt ran W.E. Wyatt & Co tin plate works around 1880 - 1884. The company address was 7 Whitecross St, Boro, SE - which I am pretty sure was in Southwark and not the Islington road of the same name.

After 1884 the next trade directory I found was 1891, which lists Wyatt & Co, Belvedere Bldgs, Southwark Bridge Rd, established over 50 years. But is this the same company? I don't know how to find the names of company directors. They advertise Wyatt's air-tight lever tin boxes (e.g. like paint tins, which as far as I know were invented in US in 1877). This same company moves first to 16 New Park St, Southwark Bridge and then sometime around 1900 to 1910 they move to Tanner St and in 1910 they say established for over 70 years. I have found patents registered by the company in 1954 and 1956 (no Wyatts named), and the advertising board was still there in 2015.

One slight complication I have found in my research is there seems to be a gap in the Wyatt census for 1881 on some of the more popular genealogy sites, as another tin plate working relative Henry Wyatt, b1853 Shoreditch was in Camberwell area in 1881 according to one site and not there according to two others, it would be handy if someone could look up his details for me.

So I am stumped - I don't know how to check which Wyatts were involved in the Wyatt companies. I wondered if anyone has ideas?

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Wyatt family and the Wyatt tin box company of Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Henry's in Peckham in 1891 tin plate worker

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 December 16 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Its 1881 I need, I have him in 1871 and 1891.

In 1891 he was living in Shard Sq, Camberwell, occupation Tin Plate worker, wife Louisa. In 1871 he was in Bethnal Green, occupation Tin Plate worker.

Ancestry and FamilySearch show nothing for 1881 (at least I can't find him) but UK Census Online pulls him up straight away, aged 28, occupation Tin Man, born Shoreditch 1853 - but I am not registered for that one so can't see the details. I want to discover if he had moved to Southwark by then, and if Louisa was his second wife.

Found Whitecross St, was actually White Cross St and is now Ayres St, in the middle of Southwark.  Its less than a mile from the Tanner St factory.

Edit : Strange can't find the Peckham 1891 Henry Wyatt on FamilySearch. Did find that the Wyatt factory lasted until about year 2000.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 16 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Looks like he's back in Shoreditch for a later census aged 60

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Have just looked up what happened to William Wyatt's wife (Caroline) after he died in 1882, and have located her in Moncrieff St in 1901, and the census entry says :
Registration District : Camberwell
Sub-District : Peckham
Parish : Southwark

So maybe the Henry you found in Peckham in 1891, is the same Henry I see in Camberwell, it all depends which data field you get.

I think William's brother Edward also died sometime 1884-1890, as looks like Amelia (his wife) appears as a widow in 1891 census with son William b1884. Though there is an Edward Wyatt tin worker in that area in 1891/1901 so not 100% sure if there is more than one Amelia, or more than one Edward!

However there is at least one more brother that moved to Southwark, Humphrey Wyatt b1866, and I have him at 52 Elliott's Row, Southwark as a tin plate worker in 1892 (should have recorded where I got that from). And in Tabard Street, Southwark as Engineer's Tester in 1901 census (same job title in 1911) - which is pretty near the Tanner St works, but not the job title you would expect of a works manager. Humphrey was my great grandfather.

There are a few other brothers who I have not yet traced, assumed dead, though might have missed them.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 December 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
William with Caroline in 1881 census shows he employed 2 men and 3 boys.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 December 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Humphrey is with his wife at 1 Combs Street st Luke's Finsbury tin plate worker with wife Ellen Ada in 1891.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 December 16 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Humphreys marriage or Ellen Ada Swift?

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 December 16 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I can only see one Edward dying in St Saviours between 1884 and 1891 and he was aged 1 according to new GRO index.