Author Topic: Christmas Present Advice  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Lalee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christmas Present Advice
« on: Friday 09 December 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I have asked for a disc or discs from my son for Christmas this year and I would like some advice as to which ones would be the best to start with. I have seen several posts on here regarding the index of names in Bedfordshire. Does this  cover the whole of the county and what information is on it?  Are things like dates and places included or is it just literally a list of names?

One of the local families I am interested in is Albone/Albon from Arlesey and I do have a reasonable amount of information about them so should I start with the Arlesey parish records on the basis that I might be able to join the dots better, or go with another parish where I know less about the other side of the family?

With the above in mind I don't know where my Albones came from in the first place so if any one has Silvanus and Caroline, James and Ann Charles, and Joseph and Susanah Hall along with various Thomas' and Abrahams in their tree and you know where the first Albone in that line came from I will know which other parish  disc to buy.

Thanks for any advice or information you can offer.

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Present Advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 16 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Well familysearch.org has  Albones in Bedfordshire going back to  the 1400's but none showing in the 1300's.
So how far back are you with your Albones? Back beyond the 1400's?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 December 16 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lalee, 

The Beds FHS have produced a pre-1852 Surnames Index CD being a consolidated surname index of all entries for baptisms and burials up to 1851 (beyond in some cases) and marriages up to at least 1837 in the Bedfordshire Parish Registers, as included on their Parish CDs. This has over one million entries with surname, forename, year, parish and event, and also indicates if a baptism, burial or marriage. Entries from the marriage licences are also included for bride, groom and surety.

However, the index consists of an alphabetical list of surnames, and it is up to you to search for all possible variant spellings. It then leads you to the detailed entries on a Parish CD or to the pre-1813 register transcripts in printed form.

It only costs £10 including postage. BFHS also sells you individual parish CDs as you require.

Looking at the surnames index there are lots listed for Albon/Albone names plus other variations that you might overlook.  Attached is an extracted sample for you to see typical content

Regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
With the above in mind I don't know where my Albones came from in the first place so if any one has Silvanus and Caroline, James and Ann Charles, and Joseph and Susanah Hall along with various Thomas' and Abrahams in their tree and you know where the first Albone in that line came from I will know which other parish  disc to buy.

I have these people in my tree, although they are pretty peripheral to my main line - Sylvanus was the husband of my 5th cousin twice removed, so not exactly a close relative!

I don't know where Joseph who married Susannah Hall was from, although I may not have looked very hard for him. I have various Albon(e)s in my tree from the nearby villages in Beds and they're all probably connected. I'll take a look.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 16 14:45 GMT (UK) »
As I suspected, these Albones were so remote I hadn't done any research into them.

In 1851 living in Arlesey were Joseph Albone 60 born Arlesey and wife Susan 60 b Whaddon Cambs. There's a baptism in Arlesey on 20 Jun 1790 of Joseph Albon son of Thomas and Mary, which looks to be the right one (per Arlesey PR transcript by BLARS, available from Beds FHS). But I can't find, yet, the marriage of Thomas and Mary, which presumably was before 1788 when their first son was baptised in Arlesey*.

David

* Possible marriage in Shillington 18 Jul 1788 Thomas Aborn and Mary Toaken botp (per Shillington PR transcript). I can't see that they followed up with any baptisms in Shillington.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Houston, we have a problem!

I think the Shillington marriage may well be the parents of Edward baptised 1788 in Arlesey and your Joseph baptised in 1790. But then the problems start. There was another Thomas Albone in Arlesey who married Mary Lyne there on 2 Apr 1793, bachelor and spinster, both of Arlesey. I'm working on them to try to identify which Thomas and Mary were the parents of the children born after April 1793.

At the moment I don't know which of these Thomas' was the one baptised in Arlesey on 9 Dec 1770, son of Abraham and Ann.

In 1841 there's a Thomas Albon 70 born Beds living in the same household as Abraham Albon 45. In 1851 probably the same Thomas Albon 83 b Arlesey was living with his son George 35. This may be the Thomas who died age 82 in the June quarter 1851.

And then there's the burial of Thomas Albone age 62 in Arlesey on 8 Jan 1830, presumably the other one.

So we have two Thomas' who according to censuses/burials were both born c1768, although I can only find one baptism.

I can feel a frustrating Sunday coming on trying to separate these two Thomas'!

David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Morning David,

Have you dismissed the Thos ALBAN baptised at Henlow in 1768.

Other ALBAN names have events in Henlow & Arlesey

I see a Thos ALBON baptised Arlesey in 1770

Cheers John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I think the Henlow Thomas must be one of them; probably the one who married in Shillington; as he seems to have been a year or so older than the one baptised in Arlesey in 1770; son of Abraham; who may have been the one living with his son Abraham in 1841

If I'm right, why the Henlow Thomas should have married in Shillington and then lived in Arlesey I can't understand

Proving which is which will be another matter though!

David

Offline Lalee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for responding and offering advice. I do use the IGI to verify things but I don't find it as useful for finding and comparing as it used to be, that goes for the whole site actually.

John-P.  Thank you so much for the extract. Now I have a good idea of what to expect and the names dates and places will be useful. It seems like a very good place to start and good value too.

David, many years ago I got some prints of the microfiche for Albones in this area and using what I already knew I was able to piece quite a lot together from the census info. Then I sat and made a table of names, ages and dates and came to the conclusion that Thomas and Mary Lyne were mine.

At that time I thought James and Elizabeth Devereaux might be the parents of James who married Ann Charles purely because she was from Arlesey, so that was wrong but I did think Thomas and Mary belonged and Abraham and Ann Myatt and Thomas and Mary Amor, but anything further back is really difficult to work out with the information I have which is why I asked about the discs. of course I might be wrong on all this but I know I am right back to James and Ann Charles and I think it was you who helped me decide it was Joseph and Susnnah in reply to my first post so very may thanks for your interest and any help or advice you can give would be vey welcome