Author Topic: Belford Alexander Wallis Wilson  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Belford Alexander Wallis Wilson
« on: Saturday 10 December 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
About 20 years ago my husband became interested in the one and only name on the war memorial at AllSaints Church Dedworth Windsor Berks.Because this was the only name he decided to research this man and spent hours at the Archives,visiting areas where he had lived and following the war diaries on the Weatern Front.I shared this interest so know that he was researching this man in many directions.
Recently my husband died and I gave found an envelope with letters going back to 1840s Families include the Pelham family ,Hanley,Wallis to name a few.There are handwritten BMDs of some families .
I don't know how he got these papers but they came from the Isle of Wight in 1996.
Ive looked on Ancestry and see there area few trees there but I want to be sure that if I send these papers to anyone they are genuine close members of the family.
If you are interested I can send you a copy of various bits before sending the real thing to anyone.
Send me a personal email.Ringrose

Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Belford Alexander Wallis Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 16 11:38 GMT (UK) »
On his list of soldiers effects he doesn't name a NOK. His nominated person is his executor Robert Provo Wallis Wilson.
Doesn't help does it.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
The name Walis is a link though.I think I might see if anyone is researching the earlier names in the letters and maybe contact them.
Thanks
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry for your loss.
Isn't it likely that it was a member of the family who sent them to your husband?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
On his list of soldiers effects he doesn't name a NOK. His nominated person is his executor Robert Provo Wallis Wilson.
Doesn't help does it.

Robert Provo W W (his brother)  married in 1911, he might have had children.

added
No, doesn't look as if they did, but Belford had quite a lot of other siblings.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
We never found out why his name was on the memorial at All Saints Windsor.He appears on others ....Leamigton Spa ,Clifton School .We did think that maybe he had a sister in Windsor.This research was done pre computer information and it took second place when my husband started researching his own family.
We are now wondering what todo with all his research.The family are interested but say they will digitise it.Not quite the same as holding a certificate of birth death and marriage
Ringrose

Offline BAWW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I have been writing a book on BAWW for a few years and would be very grateful for the source material. He died, I think, 100 years ago today.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.As said before we travelled all over the place.His name is on several war memorials apart from the one in WindsorWe saw it on Clifton College in Bristol and Lymington Spa.We explored the area of Funtingdon in Sussex and a place in Devon with family connections .We even found the old family car and went to see it at a rally in Basington.All this would have been in the 90s so I'm trying to remember.I will go through the many photographs he took in France and see if there are any of interest.
Somewhere amongst all his papers will be the story of his investigations and I will try to find them .I have to be in the right mood to do this as you can understand.
I'd be interested to know how you became interested in him and whether he is family.
It might be easier to send stuff to your email if you are happy with that.
Ringrose

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Send me a personal message on this site so that your email isn't revealed.
Ringrose