Author Topic: Roderick Morgan Jones  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Long Tom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roderick Morgan Jones
« on: Saturday 10 December 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all.    In view of the concentration of similar names to this part of the world, I am seeking a little information that might be able to better focus a prospective birth certificate for Roderick Morgan Jones.
On his Lancashire Marriage certificate in 1917 he gave his age as 22, occupation as a Collier, with his Father as Robert Jones Deceased.     He was born I believe in Pontypridd which does cover a fairly large registration district, but there is a Sept Q 1895 birth to match this at Pontypridd
I could take a chance that this is the correct RMJ, but would appreciate a little local guidance to narrow this down in view of available records.     I have been unable to confirm his family in the 1901Census, where I think he would still be prior to his travel North.
Any help would be much appreciated.    Many thanks, Curley.  Sydney :)

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick Morgan Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
On the new GRO search site the mothers maiden name is James for the Roderick Morgan Jones birth you mentioned, if that helps
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 December 16 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hmm - and a choice of 2 families in 1901 - both with Roderick born in 1896 (which is probably correct as his birthday was after the census that year) - so either John Jones of Glamorgan marrying a Mary Ann from Breconshire or Samuel Jones from Somerset and Margaret J from Glamorgan. Times like this I am grateful for not having a common surname!!
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Long Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 16 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Bertie for your help.    First an apology [ thankfully it hasn't had any impact as such], but his father 'Robert Jones', was not deceased on his marriage details.
The 1901 records you ref' were the one's I quoted in regard to not really being able to confirm either one because of the fathers christian name.    I suppose that the fathers may have had two christian names and used their other in the census, as opposed to the marriage record, so I will work on that approach initially.
    Thanks again.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:52 GMT (UK) »
It is a possibility that the birth you mention in Sept Q 1895 Mmn James is the son of Samuel and Margaret J who is also with them in 1901/1911.

Marriages Dec 1884   
James    Margaret Jane Pontypridd    11a   711    
Jones    Samuel   

There is also this other, which unlikely be by same woman, have to go out will look tmw if nobody else does.

Name:   Mother's Maiden Surname:    
JONES, RODERICK Mmn James Reference: 1896  J Quarter in PONTYPRIDD  Volume 11A  Page 540

Or possibly this is the one in census.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Long Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks 'Cas' for your input to add to Bertie's.

It would appear the two Roderick M found are the best options with the John Jones/Mary Ann parents being possibly the 'least' likely, due to his father occupation of Asst' Superintendent in Insurance. 
Roderick M at his Marriage was a Miner himself and as I said, recorded his father as one.
This suggests Samuel/Margaret Jane as the most likely [ which a certificate might concur with],but in view of his fathers Christian name variation to that recorded at the marriage [Robert], I would be interested in any reasonable confidence opinion on this aspect before ordering, and was Roderick [ if at home], a Miner in 1911 ?
    Many thanks for your help.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 December 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I would order the 1895 and/or 1896 BC, and stipulate  father being Robert, or it is not needed.

How sure are you he was born in Glamorgan?

Wonder if this connects to your man

Roderick Morgan Jones
Service number   130389 Private
Badge number   B153378
Enlistment date   15-Nov-1918
Discharge date   05-Feb-1919
Regiment/unit   Labour Corps.
Cause of discharge   392 (xvia)
Badge date of issue   05-May-1919
Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920

Roderick Morgan Jones
Service record   Soldier Number: 130389, Rank: Private, Corps: Labour Corps
Archive reference   WO372/11
Description, Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals
Image link   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3160820
Record set   Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Long Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 December 16 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again Cas for your input.
I am 'reasonably' sure he was born in Glamorgan with the 'folklore' saying Pontypridd, however in this business I appreciate you cannot take anything for granted.     I do think the Miner connection is important though which I think narrows it down to one, but your suggestion of stipulating his father as Robert is a good safeguard.
The war record is interesting, but definitely he was in Lancashire in 1917 for his marriage, which even with a very quick 'courtship' would suggest being there in 1916 as well.  The security measures during WW1 prevent any Electoral Roll details for his address, but I would think the war record is probably not him, although it is a late enlistment.     I think we should leave it as found up to now, and I will come back if more definite detail comes to hand.
Best Wishes and many thanks to all. :)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 December 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Both the Rodericks of 1901 are alive and in Wales in 1911 - but poorly transcribed on Ancestry (Rodrick for one, Rodenck the other)

here's a bit of history about the son of Samuel and Margaret

HIS FATHER'S WATCH. In the second court, Mr David Thomas, presiding, Roderick Morgan Jones, Trebanog, was charged with burglarious breaking and entering a house in Windsor-terace. Margaret Jones, widow, said that at 10.15 p.m. on the previous Saturday, she heard someone trying to burst open the front door and defendant shouted "If you don't give me my father's watch I will smash the mirror." She heard the kitchen window being smashed. She went to her father's house for safety. P.C. R. L. Jones said he arrested the defendant at 11.15 p.m. When charged he said, "The only thing I went there for is my father's watch and she refused." Defendant now said he knocked at the door but could not get no answer He then lost his end and smashed three panes of glass, hut he denied breaking the door. The charge was reduced to one of doing wrful damage and the defendant was fined £2

Rhondda Leader, 22nd November 1919