Author Topic: Locating Crown agents for the colonies job employment records  (Read 1086 times)

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locating Crown agents for the colonies job employment records
« on: Sunday 11 December 16 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to locate my Grandfathers (William Wallace Rodger) employment records within the Crown Agents for the Colonies. I came across several letters in my Grandfathers WW1 service record from the Crown Agents (4 Millbank Westminster London) requesting information about my Grandfathers character in 1926 before giving him employment. Would anyone know of where I can locate such records if they still exist? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Background:  Before the war he was in the French Congo in 1914, as a trade assistant (obtained from passage records), which is surprising as he normal job was a Joiner. He then sailed from French Congo to France Le Havre (Cinder City) and joined the 13 Battalion Royal Scots in Jan 1916. He was in the thick of it from 1916 to end of 1918 when he was sent back to UK to become an officer and then being demobbed in 1919.
Cheers, Phil

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Crown agents for the colonies job employment records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Have you asked at crownagents.com?  They are now in Sutton, Surrey.

As an ex employee, I have my doubts as to whether these records will still be held.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Quick delve in the National Archives shows possibilities - using Crown Agents and Personnel as search terms, here's one example page http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_aq=crown+agents&_ep=personnel&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1925&Refine+dates=Refine

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 16 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much for your replies Hibee and MaxD it is very much appreciated.  I will send off an enquire to the Crown Agents and see what they come up with.  In process of now going through the archives records and see what I can find.