Author Topic: Poor law Union records Wayland  (Read 777 times)

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor law Union records Wayland
« on: Sunday 11 December 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to see if anyone knows of transcriptions or has researched the poor law documents of Wayland district. I am interested in checking for sponsored migration for a couple living in Caston, who migrated shortly after the census of 1851.
James and Eliza WELLS and his family of 4 sailed from London and arrived in Canada on 25th Aug 1851 so must have set sail early June. They were in Caston for the census in April , and when there daughter was bapt on 18th May 1851, she was aged 3m on arrival, so must have been born Within a few days of the bapt.
I assume the allocation of any sponsorship by the parish officers would gave taken some planing, possibly a year or so, and her pregnancy may gave delayed their planned departure. From choice, they would have obviously chosen a summer time transit, so must have been quite keen to travel as soon as possible. I know that 94 passengers on the ship "Sisters" had poor law union assistance,  at a total cost of about £71.

A further 8 passengers were funded by Lord Carrington assumed to be the lord lieutenant of Buckinghamshire.

Sadly for this family, the journey ended in the tragic death of both the mother and infant daughter in the quarantine station at Grosse Iles.

The father and 3 sons , well at least 2 , appear to have survived and contributed to the population growth of Ontario. A separate posting explores the various records.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poor law Union records Wayland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 16 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Probably the best website for information is www.workhouses.org.uk.

They have a page for Wayland:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Wayland/

On there it says (of records):

Held at Norfolk Record Office. Few records survive - holdings include Guardians minute books, Births, Creed Register, etc.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 16 11:01 GMT (UK) »
The Guardians' Minutes are what you want. Contact the NRO and ask for a search of this volume ...
http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=12&dsqSearch=%28CatalogueRef%3D%27C%2FGP%2020%27%29

Failing that, there should be something in the poor law correspondence between the Local Government Board and the Wayland Union (held at the National Archives, not online)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3283431

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I know this post is from December, and you may have found your answers about the Wells family.

There are some records of the Wayland Poor Law online, courtesy of Family Search.

I had a brief look, trying to find the time-frame you were interested in, and came across this in the Guardian's Minute Books.

Of course it may not be "your" Eliza Wells, but there may be other information about the family.
Second page, second paragraph.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jos/

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire