Author Topic: Alexander MacDonald and Grace Fraser - Glen Urquhart  (Read 1150 times)

Offline JohnMacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander MacDonald and Grace Fraser - Glen Urquhart
« on: Sunday 11 December 16 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me here as I have reached a dead end with regards my direct paternal line, who lived in Glen Urquhart, Inverness-shire.

The earliest MacDonald I have been able to trace back to is:
Alexander MacDonald  (Born Glen Urquhart) - Married to – Grace Fraser

They had the following children
1.   Duncan MacDonald - Born 1804 in Glen Urquhart
2.   William MacDonald - Born 1811 in Glen Urquhart  - Died 14th Dec 1881 Celt Street, Inverness. (Worked as a tailor)
3.   Christian (Chirstina) MacDonald – Born 1812 in Glen Urquhart

I am trying to find out more on Alexander, where he lived in Glen Urquhart and any more I can find out about them. Family tradition is that we are MacDonalds of Glengarry and i'd like to try and find out more as I know there were descendants of Glencoe MacDonalds also in Glen Urquhart. 
Any help is very much appreciated.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander MacDonald and Grace Fraser - Glen Urquhart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you found Alexander & Grace on any census'?

If so, what year was last census each were to be found on as that will give you a window to search for deaths?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JohnMacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 16 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I obtained the details about Alexander MacDonald and Grace (or Grisal) Fraser from birth/baptism entries, and from this we established that Alexander was a member of the 10th Inverness Regiment of Militia, but no record of his death was found in Inverness-shire, so perhaps he died on campaign in the Napoleonic wars.

Alexander MacDonald may have been a tenant in Balnalurigin, Balnain in the Urquhart and Glen Moriston Parish. From some basic internet research which I have done there does some to be MacDonald's living there both past and present but I'm not sure how to confirm this.

I am very much interested in the anyone who can share anymore info on these MacDonalds in Glen Urquhart or point me in the direction of any useful publications or online resources for the Glen Urquhart MacDonalds.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 16 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi John & welcome to rootschat..

I was heading out when I originally saw your post i.e. just a quick reply!

You don't say who of his kids were married or when?

Have you checked all the marriages of his kids to find out if he was 'deceased' or, if he was alive, what his occupation was & what years?

What were the addresses given for kids marriages?

What was given as his occupation on their death certs?

Have you found a death entry for Grace (a few variants) as this will say whether she's a widow & will give an address or 'usual residence' if she died elsewhere?

Do remember that all married women in Scotland are indexed under both marital & maiden surname upon death (provided the informant knew those details).

Have you tried searching for a Will on SP?

All these things help as researchers need somewhere to begin with dates  :)

Can you please add more info. (from the above questions) for the genealogy researchers on here.

Your new information regarding "10th Inverness Regiment of Militia" could open up a whole new world....

I would suggest you post a separate request on RC Forum (here)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/

but attach a link to this thread & vice versa to avoid duplication of effort.

I would advise in the "Subject" heading...
Alexander MacDonald with circa d.o.b & (10th Inverness Regiment of Militia)

The site has a lot of knowledgeable people who can guide you but meanwhile here are a few links to other threads to give you an idea of questions/replies from/to others researching same force.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=606419.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=552606.0

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"