Author Topic: Doyle of Taghmon  (Read 3697 times)

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Doyle of Taghmon
« on: Sunday 11 December 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Andrew Doyle who married Margaret Flynn in Taghmon 1833 through their son Patrick Doyle who married Elizabeth Reynolds in Taghmon in 1868.  Patrick's children were put into an orphanage after 1873 but I have been unable to find any information about this or indeed any siblings for Patrick.  Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Doyle family? I have been unable to find out when Patrick & Elizabeth died.
Frankland of Yorkshire
Doyle of Wexford, Ireland & Wirral
Galliford of Yorkshire & Devon
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle of Taghmon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
bearing in mind it is a common name

there is a death in 1874 of an Elizabeth DOYLE aged 31 - LINK
Wexford 1874 Q3 V14 P543
unfortunately it is not online yet to view

this maybe your Elizabeth
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I applied for the death certificate of Elizabeth Doyle age 31 but unfortunately this is not the the correct person.  I have the birth details of all the children and copies of their baptisms.  I think Mary Stanislau or Stanisland may have died as no one in the family was aware of her but again I have not been able to find her death,  The surviving children were Margaret & Peter who both ended up in England and whose records I have.
Frankland of Yorkshire
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
you could try writing to the Good Shepherd Sisters in Waterford  ?
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WX&regno=15605180

there is an address at reply 13 here
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056435624

i think this is the same place in 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001288305/

my grand aunt was sent there in 1900 and i got a few vague details from the nuns she was there till she was 16 and then sent into service with a farmer till she was 18 my impression of the place is that it was not a bad place to be as the nuns have her recorded as visiting them in 1912 and my grand aunts niece also joined the order some years later.

My grand uncle was sent to Artane Industrial School in Dublin same scenario he was released at 16 into the service of a farmer in Dublin and was home on the 1911 census in Wexford this info i received from the Christian Brothers who i must say were very helpful.

sorry cant find the address at the moment but i think it's called the Providence Centre ?

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
The Good Shepherd Home seems a good lead as my great grandfather, Peter Doyle, always said that the orphanage he had been in had burnt down and the records destroyed.  He said that was why he never knew his birth date - which I have since found. He ran away when he thought he was 13 - about 1883.   We always thought it was an orphanage in Wexford though.
I will write to the address in Waterford and also try the dept. of education.
Frankland of Yorkshire
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Now if i remember rightly i think the records did come back from Limerick where their archives are probably stored,whatever address i wrote to seems to have sent my request on to them.
Your records would be over 100yrs old so there should be no problem getting some info if indeed your relatives were in one of their institutions.
I think as mentioned on the other blog 1940/50s would be a bit more sensative and be inclined to get told porkies as to non existance to fob you off.
I also applied to another one for a friend whose gran and her sisters were in one of these institutions in Dublin in the 1901 census they just told me the poor unfortunate was picked up in 1897 for begging her father having had died same year but they would not give me any info on the sisters as it was not my friends direct ancestors.
So when writing make sure to include all known addresses,names and dates of birth etc

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Another very important thing i forgot to mention is the Petty Sessions unfortunately i dont have access as they are on a fee paying site.
About a year ago fellow Rootschatter TaraMc found my great grandfather summoned to the Petty Sessions around 1902 for not paying a weekly fee for his children in the institutions i think was a shilling a week per child,so you could possibly pick up something like this for Patrick Doyle.

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 16 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I have been through the court records on Find My Past with no luck.  I am now ploughing through the Poor Law books to see if I can find any mention. They are at :-
 http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/our-collections/digital-collections/poor-law-union-minute-books-wexford-union/

Frankland of Yorkshire
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire