Author Topic: Doyle of Taghmon  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle of Taghmon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 December 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Andrew Doyle who married Margaret Flynn in Taghmon 1833 through their son Patrick Doyle who married Elizabeth Reynolds in Taghmon in 1868.  Patrick's children were put into an orphanage after 1873 but I have been unable to find any information about this or indeed any siblings for Patrick.  Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Doyle family? I have been unable to find out when Patrick & Elizabeth died.

Peter Doyle, baptized Taghmon 30th May 1833, son of Andrew Doyle and Margaret Flynn.
Patrick Doyle, baptized Taghmon 4th March 1838, "   " "  ".
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 December 16 23:40 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Andrew Doyle who married Margaret Flynn in Taghmon 1833 through their son Patrick Doyle who married Elizabeth Reynolds in Taghmon in 1868.  Patrick's children were put into an orphanage after 1873 but I have been unable to find any information about this or indeed any siblings for Patrick.  Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Doyle family? I have been unable to find out when Patrick & Elizabeth died.

Peter Doyle, born 8 July 1870, baptized Wexford 10 July, son of Patrick Doyle and Bessie Reynolds
James Doyle, born 19 February 1872, baptized " 20 February, son of " " and Elizabeth Reynolds
Mary Stanislaus Doyle, born 19 May 1874, baptized Wexford 20 May, "   "  "  ".
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I am thrilled with the details of peter Doyle born 1833 & Jmaes Doyle born 1872 as I never knew about them before & I now have copies of their baptisms.  Thank you so much. :D
Frankland of Yorkshire
Doyle of Wexford, Ireland & Wirral
Galliford of Yorkshire & Devon
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Stanislaus is a **highly** unusual name for Ireland at this time. There must be some backstory as to where this name came from.

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 December 16 10:46 GMT (UK) »
The names is Stanislau on the baptism and Stanisland on the birth certificate.  Iam trying to find if there is any connection and have looked for someone with that surname from Wexford but with no luck yet.
Frankland of Yorkshire
Doyle of Wexford, Ireland & Wirral
Galliford of Yorkshire & Devon
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 December 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I have no doubt it is Stanislaus and it would be a catholic saints name as is typical in the majority of baptisms to add a saints name on baptism.

i have come across several nuns using this name as well as christian brothers even had a De La Salle brother who taught me in school known as Brother Stanislaus.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 December 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Saint Stanislaus, martyred Bishop of Kraków
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaus_of_Szczepan%C3%B3w

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 December 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The names is Stanislau on the baptism and Stanisland on the birth certificate.  Iam trying to find if there is any connection and have looked for someone with that surname from Wexford but with no luck yet.

I would have to disagree with you on the spelling, and agree with Dathai.
- On the civil registration, the name is clearly Stanislaus. I think you are being mislead into reading it as Stanisland by the fact that the final letters overlap with the bottom loop of the cursive capital F in "Female" in the following word.
- The baptism entry is less clear, but I think it ends on a form of cursive s.
Also, Dathai is correct that this is a Christian name, so I don't think you will find anyone with that name as a surname in Wexford.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 December 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Saint Stanislaus, martyred Bishop of Kraków
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaus_of_Szczepan%C3%B3w

Or St. Stanislaus Kostka of the Society of Jesus - perhaps more likely?
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14245b.htm