Author Topic: James Philip Springate 1863-1939  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Dursley92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Philip Springate 1863-1939
« on: Sunday 11 December 16 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather James Philip Springate. He was born in Grouville in 1863, and was the son of James Trout Springate.  There was some kind of scandal and it is said he was "sent away" off the island at around age 18. The family were all seamen so were used to moving about anyway.   He later started our family in Cardiff and in Gloucestershire but disappeared again in about 1910. We recently found he had returned to Jersey at sometime (maybe after his father died in 1918)  and died in St Savious Mental Institution in 1939.
I tried asking the older members of the family but they would not talk about it and have now gone so that knowledge is lost.  Anyone have any good ideas please?

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Philip Springate 1863-1939
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 16 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

James Philip Springate died at the mental hospital, St. Saviour and was buried 19th Inst (presumably 19th Jun 1939 judging by surrounding entries) at St. Saviour's in the poor ground. This is from the funeral records of Croad and Sons Funeral Director.

I would guess the burial is St. Saviour's church rather than St. Saviour's hospital which is in Grouville.

There is also a prison record for JPS. On 22nd November 1922 he was sentenced to 8 days imprisonment for assault.

These details are available ( at a cost) from the Jersey Archive site at:

http://catalogue.jerseyheritage.org/

Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Did he marry Rose Annie Cratchley  :-\

There is an article Gloucester Citizen 07 June 1912 which mentions a James Springate & Walter Cratchley - also in Cheltenham Chronicle 08 June 1912.  It mentions that Mrs Springate was Cratchleys sister
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dursley92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 16 19:15 GMT (UK) »
That is him. He married Rose Annie Cratchley at Whitehill in 1906 but they already had 3 children by then who were all born in Cardiff!  It has been suggested that as a seaman he could be eligible for a pension if he was a married man so may have married for that reason.  He "disappeared" from the area soon afterwards.
Thanks for the info, something else for me to pursue.