Author Topic: Jane from Lockerbie?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane from Lockerbie?
« on: Sunday 11 December 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage between John Pattinson born 1835ish Torpenhow area to a Jane born 1850ish, birthplace Lockerbie. John was living with his father Wilson Pattinson in 1871 on Blennerhasset farm, cumberland. John & Jane's first child Thomas was born 1874, according to 1881 &1891 census in scotland in 1901 & 1911 he states he was born in blennerhasset. If Thomas was born in scotland you would think it was likely that the marriage took place there bit I cannot find it. They were living in Blennerhasset in 1881 census, interestingly they had a farm servant working for them called William Wilson, John & jane went on to name their last child William Wilson Pattinson, connection........do not know.
Any help appreciated
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane from Lockerbie?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1873 Marriage of a John Pattinson to a Mary Jane Benson in Middlebie which is south of Lockerbie available at Scotlands People.

It is the only one of a John Pattinson between 1870-1873 anywhere in Scotland.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
John & Jane's first child Thomas was born 1874,

Have you looked up his birth on Scotlands People to establish Jane's maiden name - or the births of any subsequent children?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just checked on the new GRO index for daughter Isabella, registered Sept Q, 1880, Wigton (correct Reg Dist for Blennerhasset). Mother's maiden name is given as Carruthers.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Could the marriage be the one in Dec qutr 1874 in Wigton between Janet Bell Carruthers and John Pattinson? There is a baptism on Familysearch for Janet Bell Carruthers daughter of Walter Carruthers and Mary nee Irving 6/4/1851 St Mungo Dumfries.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 16 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Another possible ~

A family in Lockerbie,  Annandale, Dumfries on the 1851

John Carruthers, 24, labourer
Mary, 24
Janet, 2
Jane, under 1

Gadget

Added -

By 1861, this family are in St Mungo with 4 more children, a niece, Janet Blacklock, aged 2, and a boarder, Janet Carruthers, married, aged 26 (poss sister in law to John?)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
There was only 1 Thomas Pattinson born at the right time on Scotlands People but wrong parents, the rest of the children Sarah, Ann, Mary, Isabella, Elizabeth, Joseph, Jane, John & William Wilson were all born in England. I printed off a list of Jane's born in the lockerbie area around 1849-51 and there was a Jane Carruthers born 1851 Dryesdale in dumfriesshire, so I will try and follow her up.
Thank you all

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Found the family you mentioned Gadget plus another possibility, Jane Isabella Johnstone Carruthers born 23/02/1850 at Moffat, to William and Elizabeth Carruthers they are living 3 Cuthbert Street, in 1861. Although I do think John & Mary are the strongest possibility for her parents but I cannot find her birth details on Scotlands people.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
What religion were they, Cazza?

As she was born in 1850-51, the only records would be baptism records. Registration didn't begin in Scotland until 1855.

I've not looked at the one that I found further than 1861. It might be worth trying to follow her - if she's still in Scotland/married by 1881, then it's not her.

I'll have another look at some of the bits that I found yesterday to see if there are any more clues.