Author Topic: WARD / BAYES  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Steve Titterton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WARD / BAYES
« on: Monday 25 July 05 17:44 BST (UK) »

My maternal great grandmother is Alice Elizabeth Ward who was born who was born in Dronfield, NE Derbuyshire in 1882. Her family had moved there from Felmersham about 1873.
Her mother was Elizabeth Bayes and her father William Ward.Elizabeth Bayes was born in Felmersham in 1841 the daughter of John BAYES and his wife Sarah. I have traced thenm back to the 1841 census folio no 008/7/f6. It appears there that they lived next door to the Wards.JohnWard is listed as a Masoner aged 45 years. Sarah is a similar age and they have 7 children listed, Elizabeth being the youngest. In the 1851 census they are listed as 57 years of age, John having been born in Sharnbrook and Sarah in Thurleigh. In the 1861 census they are listed as 67 years of age and living at cottage 54.Elizabeth Bayes aged 20 years is listed as a boarder at a public house.
The 1841 census lists a William Ward, Agriculturakl labourer aged 50 years living with Sarah 60 years and Mary aged 22 years.
The 1851 census lists William as 61 years and Mary as 42 years. The elder Sarah is not listed. Seven other children are listed including William aged 9 years.
The 1861 census lists William Ward as 71 years and living at no 6 cottage in the village with his family including William aged 19 years.
I believe that the William Ward born @1842 and Elizabeth Bayes born 1841 are my great great grandparents.
I would be grateful for any information which may assist me to trace my family further back or for contact from any society member who thinks they may be related

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: WARD / BAYES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 08:37 BST (UK) »
Steve,

According to the 1803 National Defence Volunteer Muster list:

In Felmersham, James WARD was a 52 year old labourer is listed

In Sharnbrook, Dan BAYES a 48 year old mason is listed.  A John WARD, who is a 25 year old unmarried shoemaker is also listed in Sharnbrook..

14th May 1831: Dan BAYS of Sharnbrook is enrolled but his substitute served.
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline Steve Titterton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WARD / BAYES
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
CATHY, THANKS FOR THAT INFORMATION.