Author Topic: PR look ups - Ilfield and Worth  (Read 2354 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PR look ups - Ilfield and Worth
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I’ve had a look at different records and found the following – findings in red – hope it’s of some help.

Thanks for those details. I think you could be right about the marriage between James Baldwin[e] and Agnes being a second marriage following the death of Alice. What puzzles me though is the fact that Agnes had the same surname as James' daughter in law Susan, namely Longley/Langley. Agnes was a widow when she married James (whose son Sydrach married Susan Longley) so I am wondering if her first husband could have been related to Susan.

A Bartholomew Langley married an Agnes Marshall at Balcomb on 10 Jan 1552/3.  I couldn’t find a burial for Bartholomew at Balcomb, Ifield or Worth so it’s uncertain if this is the Agnes that James Baldwin married.  I guess it would mean trawling through all the burial records in all the parishes in the area in the hope of finding Bartholomew’s burial to see if that preceded Agnes Langley marrying James.  There were no other Agnes’ marrying a Langley/Longley or any other spelling in the relevant period.

I don't have any reference to a John Baldwin born in Feb 1580/1 or in Sept 1584. <- not at Ifield I have a John Baldwin born in Oct 1580 [to James and Alice]  see above for John bap 10 Feb 1580/81 s/o Jeames at Ifield, no other for that year there and after that the next one I have in my records is John Baldwin born c1627 to Sydrach and Margaret. Nothing at Ifield or Worth Can you give me any more details on those two records.  There are these two baptisms at Worth:
Sydrach Baldwine s/o Sydrack 10 Apr 1631
Frances Baldwine d/o Sydrack 15 Dec 1633

Can I ask you to check for the following?

Christenings:

Rafe/Ralph Baldwin [son of James and Alice] c1570 in Ifield. I'd say he was born between 1568 and 1572 though.  Rafe bap 21 May 1570 at Ifiled s/o James Baldwine.
There are also these presumably sibling baptisms:
Elizabeth 02 Nov 1572 d/o James Baldwine
John 25 Sep 1574 s/o James Baldwine.

I know that Sydrach Baldwin and Margarett Bacheller were married in Worth in April 1630 however I don't know when their first three children were born. These were Anne, Frances and John who was born c1627 and died in 1726. I didn’t spot any others than those listed above at Worth.

I am also interested in finding the marriage of Anne Baldwin and John Blake which must have taken place pre 1659 as she is referred to as 'the wife of John Blake' in her father's will. Nothing on the SFHG Sussex Marriage Index, did they marry outside of Sussex? I'd also like to know if there are any burial records for the following post 1659: 

Anne Blake [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of John Blake As Nell found at Worth – Anne w/o John 25 May 1672 – doesn’t indicate if w/o stands for wife of widow of which is frustrating!
There is also this burial at Worth, their child?  Ann d/o John & Ann died 08/09/1660, no burial date which is strange. (I have heard of very young children being listed in such a manner where they died before they could be baptised and were therefore not buried in consecrated ground which I think is particularly upsetting and totally unchristian of the priest!)

I also came across two possibly burials for John:
14 Jun 1679 or 10 Mar 1687 but no indication if they were widowers or what their ages were.

Frances Brasted [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of Henry Brasted (married 1653) Nothing at Ifield or Worth.

As you have a lot of people to research it might be worth you joining SFHG – it’s only £15 for the year so very economical – and that way you might come across other people in your ancestry that you’d recognise as you trawl through records.  It would also allow you to search neighbouring parishes for the odd missing ancestor. 

I’ve found quite a few ‘missing’ ancestors in this way, it’s surprising who turns up when you search like this, Sussex is brilliant because of the SFHG access.  I don’t mind looking up what you’ve queried but of course I won’t know who else might be in the records that relate to your researches.  Trying to locate ancestors in Oxfordshire I ended up buying nearly half of their parish records cds and did eventually find all but one ancestor but also siblings that I didn’t know about came to light – an expensive exercise though compared to Sussex!

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PR look ups - Ilfield and Worth
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I’ve had a look at different records and found the following – findings in red – hope it’s of some help.

Thanks for those details. I think you could be right about the marriage between James Baldwin[e] and Agnes being a second marriage following the death of Alice. What puzzles me though is the fact that Agnes had the same surname as James' daughter in law Susan, namely Longley/Langley. Agnes was a widow when she married James (whose son Sydrach married Susan Longley) so I am wondering if her first husband could have been related to Susan.

A Bartholomew Langley married an Agnes Marshall at Balcomb on 10 Jan 1552/3.  I couldn’t find a burial for Bartholomew at Balcomb, Ifield or Worth so it’s uncertain if this is the Agnes that James Baldwin married.  I guess it would mean trawling through all the burial records in all the parishes in the area in the hope of finding Bartholomew’s burial to see if that preceded Agnes Langley marrying James.  There were no other Agnes’ marrying a Langley/Longley or any other spelling in the relevant period.

I don't have any reference to a John Baldwin born in Feb 1580/1 or in Sept 1584. <- not at Ifield I have a John Baldwin born in Oct 1580 [to James and Alice]  see above for John bap 10 Feb 1580/81 s/o Jeames at Ifield, no other for that year there and after that the next one I have in my records is John Baldwin born c1627 to Sydrach and Margaret. Nothing at Ifield or Worth Can you give me any more details on those two records.  There are these two baptisms at Worth:
Sydrach Baldwine s/o Sydrack 10 Apr 1631
Frances Baldwine d/o Sydrack 15 Dec 1633

Can I ask you to check for the following?

Christenings:

Rafe/Ralph Baldwin [son of James and Alice] c1570 in Ifield. I'd say he was born between 1568 and 1572 though.  Rafe bap 21 May 1570 at Ifiled s/o James Baldwine.
There are also these presumably sibling baptisms:
Elizabeth 02 Nov 1572 d/o James Baldwine
John 25 Sep 1574 s/o James Baldwine.

I know that Sydrach Baldwin and Margarett Bacheller were married in Worth in April 1630 however I don't know when their first three children were born. These were Anne, Frances and John who was born c1627 and died in 1726. I didn’t spot any others than those listed above at Worth.

I am also interested in finding the marriage of Anne Baldwin and John Blake which must have taken place pre 1659 as she is referred to as 'the wife of John Blake' in her father's will. Nothing on the SFHG Sussex Marriage Index, did they marry outside of Sussex? I'd also like to know if there are any burial records for the following post 1659: 

Anne Blake [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of John Blake As Nell found at Worth – Anne w/o John 25 May 1672 – doesn’t indicate if w/o stands for wife of widow of which is frustrating!
There is also this burial at Worth, their child?  Ann d/o John & Ann died 08/09/1660, no burial date which is strange. (I have heard of very young children being listed in such a manner where they died before they could be baptised and were therefore not buried in consecrated ground which I think is particularly upsetting and totally unchristian of the priest!)

I also came across two possibly burials for John:
14 Jun 1679 or 10 Mar 1687 but no indication if they were widowers or what their ages were.

Frances Brasted [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of Henry Brasted (married 1653) Nothing at Ifield or Worth.

As you have a lot of people to research it might be worth you joining SFHG – it’s only £15 for the year so very economical – and that way you might come across other people in your ancestry that you’d recognise as you trawl through records.  It would also allow you to search neighbouring parishes for the odd missing ancestor. 

I’ve found quite a few ‘missing’ ancestors in this way, it’s surprising who turns up when you search like this, Sussex is brilliant because of the SFHG access.  I don’t mind looking up what you’ve queried but of course I won’t know who else might be in the records that relate to your researches.  Trying to locate ancestors in Oxfordshire I ended up buying nearly half of their parish records cds and did eventually find all but one ancestor but also siblings that I didn’t know about came to light – an expensive exercise though compared to Sussex!

Hi

Wow you've been busy. Many thanks for those pieces of information. I'll go through them and let you know if anything is useful.

Matt