Author Topic: PR look ups - Ilfield and Worth  (Read 2344 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PR look ups - Ilfield and Worth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Aley baptisms - all children of a William and time scale Ok so I'd say all siblings.

Possible burial for William Aley - 05 Apr 1603

Also Marget (presumably Margaret) Aley, widow of William 11 Jan 1615

Spotted these Baldwine baptisms at Ifield:

Rafe 21 May 1570 s/o James
Elizabeth  02 Nov 1572  d/o James
John 25 Sep 1574 s/o James

John 10 Feb 1580/81 s/o Jeames
Joane 25 Mar 1582 d/o Jeames

Not sure what the spelling of the father's name on the last two is meant to be.  I checked for a burial of the first John in case the same father but none in the relevant time period.  Never come across Jeames before.  :-\

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Aley baptisms - all children of a William and time scale Ok so I'd say all siblings.

Possible burial for William Aley - 05 Apr 1603

Also Marget (presumably Margaret) Aley, widow of William 11 Jan 1615

Spotted these Baldwine baptisms at Ifield:

Rafe 21 May 1570 s/o James
Elizabeth  02 Nov 1572  d/o James
John 25 Sep 1574 s/o James

John 10 Feb 1580/81 s/o Jeames
Joane 25 Mar 1582 d/o Jeames

Not sure what the spelling of the father's name on the last two is meant to be.  I checked for a burial of the first John in case the same father but none in the relevant time period.  Never come across Jeames before.  :-\

Thanks for those. I will check the dates tomorrow but I think these do relate to my people.

I have seen Jeames before as a variation of James, I've also seen it spelt Jamese, and Jammes once, also Jeams on one occasion. All of these seem to be variations of James.

Matt

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 December 16 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any burial for John Baldwine to explain the use of John again on 10 Feb 1580/1.

I did find a burial for Alice Baldwine, wife of James Baldwine on 26 Mar 1582 at Ifield.  Seeing that this was one day after Joane's baptism it's probably safe to assume Alice died of post natal complications and would explain James' marriage to Agnes as detailed above - he needed a wife for his young family.

I'm not sure why there's a six year gap between John's baptism on 25 Sep 1584 and John's on 10 Feb 1580/1 - maybe they were living elsewhere, nothing at Worth but lots of other parishes in that area.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 December 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any burial for John Baldwine to explain the use of John again on 10 Feb 1580/1.

I did find a burial for Alice Baldwine, wife of James Baldwine on 26 Mar 1582 at Ifield.  Seeing that this was one day after Joane's baptism it's probably safe to assume Alice died of post natal complications and would explain James' marriage to Agnes as detailed above - he needed a wife for his young family.

I'm not sure why there's a six year gap between John's baptism on 25 Sep 1584 and John's on 10 Feb 1580/1 - maybe they were living elsewhere, nothing at Worth but lots of other parishes in that area.

Hi there

Thanks for those details. I think you could be right about the marriage between James Baldwin[e] and Agnes being a second marriage following the death of Alice. What puzzles me though is the fact that Agnes had the same surname as James' daughter in law Susan, namely Longley/Langley. Agnes was a widow when she married James (whose son Sydrach married Susan Longley) so I am wondering if her first husband could have been related to Susan.

I don't have any reference to a John Baldwin born in Feb 1580/1 or in Sept 1584. I have a John Baldwin born in Oct 1580 [to James and Alice] and after that the next one I have in my records is John Baldwin born c1627 to Sydrach and Margaret. Can you give me any more details on those two records?

Can I ask you to check for the following?

Christenings:

Rafe/Ralph Baldwin [son of James and Alice] c1570 in Ifield. I'd say he was born between 1568 and 1572 though.

I know that Sydrach Baldwin and Margarett Bacheller were married in Worth in April 1630 however I don't know when their first three children were born. These were Anne, Frances and John who was born c1627 and died in 1726.

I am also interested in finding the marriage of Anne Baldwin and John Blake which must have taken place pre 1659 as she is referred to as 'the wife of John Blake' in her father's will. I'd also like to know if there are any burial records for the following post 1659:

Anne Blake [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of John Blake
Frances Brasted [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of Henry Brasted (married 1653)

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

In the meantime, thanks for your ideas and help and have a good Christmas.

Best Wishes
Matt

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 December 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I've added comments in red to you post, could you let me know the answers to the questions.

I'll probably be able to do this later today or tomorrow as we've all got this flu like cold so incommunicado to other relatives - no distractions from research!

Artifis

Thanks for those details. I think you could be right about the marriage between James Baldwin[e] and Agnes being a second marriage following the death of Alice. What puzzles me though is the fact that Agnes had the same surname as James' daughter in law Susan, namely Longley/Langley. Agnes was a widow when she married James (whose son Sydrach married Susan Longley) so I am wondering if her first husband could have been related to Susan. I'll see if I can find out who Agnes married and if I can find that see if I can link him to Susan.

I don't have any reference to a John Baldwin born in Feb 1580/1 or in Sept 1584. I have a John Baldwin born in Oct 1580 [to James and Alice] and after that the next one I have in my records is John Baldwin born c1627 to Sydrach and Margaret. Can you give me any more details on those two records? I'll see what I can find, presumably at Ifield?

Christenings:

Rafe/Ralph Baldwin [son of James and Alice] c1570 in Ifield. I'd say he was born between 1568 and 1572 though.

I know that Sydrach Baldwin and Margarett Bacheller were married in Worth in April 1630 however I don't know when their first three children were born. These were Anne, Frances and John who was born c1627 and died in 1726. I'll see what I can find.

I am also interested in finding the marriage of Anne Baldwin and John Blake which must have taken place pre 1659 as she is referred to as 'the wife of John Blake' in her father's will. I'd also like to know if there are any burial records for the following post 1659:  Is this at Ifield or Worth?

Frances Brasted [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of Henry Brasted (married 1653) Again, Ifield or Worth?

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 December 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I've added comments in red to you post, could you let me know the answers to the questions.

I'll probably be able to do this later today or tomorrow as we've all got this flu like cold so incommunicado to other relatives - no distractions from research!

Artifis

Thanks for those details. I think you could be right about the marriage between James Baldwin[e] and Agnes being a second marriage following the death of Alice. What puzzles me though is the fact that Agnes had the same surname as James' daughter in law Susan, namely Longley/Langley. Agnes was a widow when she married James (whose son Sydrach married Susan Longley) so I am wondering if her first husband could have been related to Susan. I'll see if I can find out who Agnes married and if I can find that see if I can link him to Susan.

I don't have any reference to a John Baldwin born in Feb 1580/1 or in Sept 1584. I have a John Baldwin born in Oct 1580 [to James and Alice] and after that the next one I have in my records is John Baldwin born c1627 to Sydrach and Margaret. Can you give me any more details on those two records? I'll see what I can find, presumably at Ifield?

Christenings:

I know that Sydrach Baldwin and Margarett Bacheller were married in Worth in April 1630 however I don't know when their first three children were born. These were Anne, Frances and John who was born c1627 and died in 1726. I'll see what I can find.

I am also interested in finding the marriage of Anne Baldwin and John Blake which must have taken place pre 1659 as she is referred to as 'the wife of John Blake' in her father's will. I'd also like to know if there are any burial records for the following post 1659:  Is this at Ifield or Worth?

Frances Brasted [nee Baldwin] wife/widow of Henry Brasted (married 1653) Again, Ifield or Worth?

Hi there

Thanks for that. Here are the answers to your questions:

Sydrach Baldwin who left a will in 1659 lived and died in Worth. I know that his daughter Frances married Henry Brasted in Worth in 1653 so Anne may have been married there too. What puzzles me is why her brother John [who married Katherine Castle] was married in Croydon.

I've just found some more details about the Baldwins in Ifield so I'll update you again soon.

Matt

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 December 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Anne Blake wife of John, buried at Worth 25 May 1672.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 December 16 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Anne Blake wife of John, buried at Worth 25 May 1672.

Nell

Hi Nell

Many thanks for that info.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 December 16 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I've recently uncovered some more information on the Baldwin/Baldwine family.

Firstly I've found out when Rate Baldwin (son of James and Alice) was christened - 21 May 1570. I've also discovered that he had a sister named Elizabeth (christened 2 November 1572) and two brothers named John (one christened 23 September 1574, and one christened 10 October 1580 - leading me to suspect the first one died).

I also now have (what I think is) a full list of all the children of Sydrach Baldwin and Susan Longley. These are:

Doryty c1598
Elder - christened 9 March 1598/9 (female)
Agnes - christened 1 August 1602
James - christened 26 May 1604
Sydrach - christened 1 February 1604/5 (there also appears to be a Sydrach born in 1609)
Elizabeth - christened 3 April 1608, buried 9 July 1615
Susan - christened 26 August 1610
Anne - christened July 1615, and buried 6 July 1615.

I also have some info on the children of Sydrach Baldwin and Margaret Bacheller. I now know that their daughter Frances was born in Ifield in December 1633 (christened 15 December 1615) and married Henry Brasted in 1653. I've also found that Sydrach and Margaret had a son named Sydrach who was born in Worth in 1631. Their youngest daughter Joan seems to have been born in East Grinstead so I wonder if Anne Baldwin was born there too. I know that Sydrach and Margaret were married in 1630 which appears to be 3 years after the birth of John Baldwin.  I suspect John was the eldest child, followed by Sydrach (1631), Frances (1633), Joan (1636) and then Anne.

Matt