Author Topic: BRASH in and near Abercorn  (Read 12766 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRASH in and near Abercorn
« on: Wednesday 14 December 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Researching my BRASH line in Abercorn parish and Kincavil, Linlithgow parish, has resulted in some place names I cannot identify. I have found Whitelawhouse, Bank and Linn Mill in the far northeast corner of the parish (all extant since before 1700, all with various spellings) forming a cluster of my BRASHs there and in Newton and Dudingston.

But Walter BRASH in Golphole is recorded in 1754 (there are at least two records with this same place clearly spelt). He was born est1632 in Abercorn and survived well past 1666. Also recorded is Hen(d)ry MEIKLE in Hadyequil (in 1703) or Hadyonquiel (in 1754), both reasonably clearly written. He was born est1640 in Abercorn.

Can anyone identify these locations, or say if/where they've come across these placenames?

Others that have turned up are Shillinghill (1720s) and Mackinhall (1700s).

My BRASHs end up with what must be two brothers Patrick BRASH born est1599 and Walter BRASH born est1608. Knowing where these places are/were would help with distinguishing the BRASH clusters in Kincavil, Newton and also Philpstoun. I've looked up all the maps at the NLS. Most published trees are the usual guesswork and forcefit and are interesting rather than reliable.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRASH in and near Abercorn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Fordyce, I'm sure I've passed a Brash's Close in Queensferry. A Shillinghill was nothing to do with shillings, it's from shelling hill. When corn (oats) were threshed with flails it was winnowed on small hills, the wind carried the chaff clear of the grain.

Skoosh.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 16 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Who are the parents of Walter b 1754?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 December 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Don, the 1754 mention of Walter BRASH was not his birth. It was in the rights to Mortcloth in the Abercorn OPR, a really useful record, thus: "Margaret Meikle relict of George Brash Smith yr has aright both by her husband he being son to Walter Brash in Golphole as also by the said Henry Meikle her father a Contr in person".

George BRASH was a smith in Newton, who married Margaret MEIKLE 12 Jun 1694 Abercorn. Most probably he was bpt 7 Jul 1658 in Abercorn, a witness being George Dundas of Duddingstone, and his father being Walter BRASH. His mother would be Christian JOHNSTONE. Although there is no record of the father Walter BRASH's baptism, he seems to fit into a convenient slot left by seven known children baptised 1629-1649 to Walter BRASH, all born in Abercorn, latterly stated to be Newton there - hence my estaimate of 1632.

Knowing where Golphole was might help support or refute this.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 May 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
I've only got an Agnes Brash b c 1847, who married into a line of my family in 1864 from Linlithgow, so noty very likely to be of much use or help, sorry.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Fordyce, just found this Thread.
I have an Isabel Brash, died 1829, who married James Morison at Abercorn (her home Parish) on 12 Dec 1783 (both buried Ecclesmachan).
Based on their childrens' names, I suspect my Isabel is daughter of John Brash & Jean Richie of Abercorn, whose children were Alexander (b1750), Walter (b1752), Isabel (b1755), Margret (b1757), & Janet (b1764).
Is this the same Brash family as yours?

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 06:13 BST (UK) »
I was on Scottish Writing . com recently which has a Letter Finder in its Coaching section. It has some interesting pointers on deciphering old handwriting.
It points out that what many would recognise today as the letter "y" , could be the archaic letter "thorn" which fell out of use because of the standardisation of letters by printers. Thorn is represented by the sound "th". That is why you often see signage like "Ye Olde Shoppe" - but people of old didn't actually say "Ye", they still pronounced it as "The", like we do today.
That website also suggests that "qu" might be written for a "w".
So your placename Hadyequil, might today be written Hadthewiel?
A wiel or weel is a pool or a deep still part of a river - which might narrow down its location?

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Now that's added to the sum of my knowledge. I knew of the "Thorn"/Y, but not the other. I think I'll have to have a look at that site - sounds fascinating. Thanks, Rakiura John.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
That website also suggests that "qu" might be written for a "w".
So your placename Hadyequil, might today be written Hadthewiel?
A wiel or weel is a pool or a deep still part of a river - which might narrow down its location?
Hmmm. I have quite often seen 'qu' in old documents where you would see 'wh' today, but I can't think of ever having seen 'qu' where you would use 'w' today. But it's a good suggestion. Fordyce, have you tried Scotland's Places https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk ?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.