Author Topic: British Isles ancestry - Scandinavian matches  (Read 8963 times)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Re: British Isles ancestry - Scandinavian matches
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 March 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been slowly, looking through my matches on Gedmatch, and there do seem to be a few Swedish and Norweigan names there, so I am wondering if I might have an unaccounted for Scandinavian relative somewhere around fifth, sixth generation. It might explain my really high scandi percentage. Mind you, my 4x grandmother was born in Selkirk, and her surname was Anderson, which might explain some of it.

Offline mcleeds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 March 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been slowly, looking through my matches on Gedmatch, and there do seem to be a few Swedish and Norweigan names there, so I am wondering if I might have an unaccounted for Scandinavian relative somewhere around fifth, sixth generation. It might explain my really high scandi percentage. Mind you, my 4x grandmother was born in Selkirk, and her surname was Anderson, which might explain some of it.

Anderson is not necessarily Scandinavian, though it is very common there.

I would imagine that a high amount of Scandinavian DNA would come from descent from Vikings and Normans.
England: Bramham, Harris, Watson, Harrison, Laycock, Anderson, Douglas
Scotland: McDonald, Lee, Cruickshanks
Ireland: Conway, Kelly

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 March 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
My father's Ancestry DNA test said he was 48% Great Britain, 38% Europe West, 9% Finland/Northwest Russia, 3% Scandinavia, & 2% Europe East.
Yet his maternal grandfather was from Denmark, and his material grandmother was from Norway, and paternal great-grandfather was from Baden, Germany, and the rest seems to be from Great Britain.  We have matches with Danish & Norwegian relatives (who also immigrated to the USA), so why such a small percent of his DNA is showing up as Scandinavia?
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 March 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Anderson is not necessarily Scandinavian, though it is very common there.

I would imagine that a high amount of Scandinavian DNA would come from descent from Vikings and Normans.

Hi :)

Yes, that is true about the Anderson surname, and I think she was a full bloodied Scot, but i'm struggling to think of where else the high amount could come from. I do have alot of family from Yorkshire, and the Midlands ( Danelaw) and some from Scotland, which could explain the high percentage. One of my distant Ancestors was called Jane Raw, which I believe is a Viking name, and she was from Swaledale in North Yorks and possibly Cumbria further back.

According to FTDNA I am a whopping 45% Scandinavia and the coloured blob was mostly over Norway and Sweden. I was 40% Great Britain, 13% Southern Europe and 2% Central and South Asian. All my family, as far as I am aware of, were born in the British Isles. But I do have many gaps and brick walls to fill. What is odd is that I have no Western or Central Europe.

So, yes, it is hard to tell if the DNA is Ancient or relatively recent. I have not come across any ancestral Scandinavian links so far in my research, but I do have some current Scandinavian matches with people on Gedmatch, who are Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish. Interesting times!.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 March 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Anderson, common all over Scotland, patron saint Andrew. The Scandinavian input into Scotland's genepool was generally pre Christian & names like Andrew were not used. The Northern isles were an exception & James Anderson would be the son of Andrew Jameson for example. a practise which ended a couple of hundred years ago when surnames became fixed.

Skoosh.

Offline mcleeds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I think I brought up Scandinavian-sounding names earlier.

Some branches of my family tree in North & East Yorkshire also seem to bear Scandinavian-sounding names.

Among these are Brigg, Haigh, Askwith, Crowson, Ustenson, Tordoff, etc.
England: Bramham, Harris, Watson, Harrison, Laycock, Anderson, Douglas
Scotland: McDonald, Lee, Cruickshanks
Ireland: Conway, Kelly

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 March 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I think I brought up Scandinavian-sounding names earlier.

Some branches of my family tree in North & East Yorkshire also seem to bear Scandinavian-sounding names.

Among these are Brigg, Haigh, Askwith, Crowson, Ustenson, Tordoff, etc.

Ustenson and Tordoff sound really Scandinavian:)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 March 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Anderson, common all over Scotland, patron saint Andrew. The Scandinavian input into Scotland's genepool was generally pre Christian & names like Andrew were not used. The Northern isles were an exception & James Anderson would be the son of Andrew Jameson for example. a practise which ended a couple of hundred years ago when surnames became fixed.

Skoosh.

I didn't know that, you learn something new every day.
In my case, more than one.
Thank you for that :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 March 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Alf,  Uisdean is the Gaelic for Hugh so probably Norse!

Skoosh.