Author Topic: British Isles ancestry - Scandinavian matches  (Read 8950 times)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Re: British Isles ancestry - Scandinavian matches
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all:)

Well, it's all change at FTDNA. I logged in today and they have updated their myorigin pages.

After all the Scandinavia talk, it appears that I have lost most of my Scandihooligans!! ( as Skoosh calls them ;D )

I've gone from 45% Scandinavian down to 17% and 46% is now Western and Central Europe.
Great Britain is now lower too at 34% and I've gone from 98% to 97% European with 2% traces each of Central Asia, South America? and Eastern Europe.

The descriptions of each region has changed too. I'm am basically reading it as, if we are European, we will be a differing mixture of all of these. Mongrels basically. I am fine with that, although I expect there will be more shifts over time.

It's good that they are getting more data though.
I shall mourn my lost Scandi's with a smoked salmon sarnie at lunch time.

Have a lovely day

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
They've given some of your Scandinavian genes to me, for I now have 33% Scandinavian, whereas before I just had 5% Finland and Northern Siberia. I have 11% Iberia, and most interesting of all, 3% Sephardic Jewish. Not bad for a boy from an east-coast Scottish fishing village. I would like to see how they work out these results.

Harry

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
They've given some of your Scandinavian genes to me, for I now have 33% Scandinavian, whereas before I just had 5% Finland and Northern Siberia. I have 11% Iberia, and most interesting of all, 3% Sephardic Jewish. Not bad for a boy from an east-coast Scottish fishing village. I would like to see how they work out these results.

Harry

Not bad at all ;D
With your post, you have just reminded me that I have also lost my 13% Southern Europe. How sad. Paella for dinner then.
My Gedmatch still shows Basque and Iberian, so maybe it has something to do with the people we match with on FTDNA?.

It's a mystery.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
There's a big debate about all this on the FTDNA discussion forum. Lots of puzzlement about.

Harry

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
There are no true British people - after the last ice age, when Britain started to be habitable, people from Europe walked into Britain across the land bridge that is now the North Sea...

Not necessarily true

People might have migrated from Britain before the ice age and then those same 'people', thousands of years later, moved back into Britain again as the ice receded.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
Before the sea rose there was no Britain it was part of the continent, who first boiled a kettle here or there is pure speculation.

Skoosh.

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
Before the sea rose there was no Britain it was part of the continent, who first boiled a kettle here or there is pure speculation.

Skoosh.

You have a wonderful turn of phrase :)

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 19 August 17 11:34 BST (UK) »

Harry

It does make you wonder, the Jewish percentages in a lot of British people's results got me a bit perplexed too but then I did some research and noticed that some Jewish groups overlap clusters with Italians and Greeks. I think this is down to an East Mediterranean element, so I'm my opinion they are misinterpreting South European as Jewish.

I'd say your other elements make sense, East Scotland was raided and settled by Vikings.
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 August 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Mazeltov!  ;D

Skoosh.