Author Topic: Re-engaged from the reserve - 01/07/31 - 30/06/35  (Read 318 times)

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re-engaged from the reserve - 01/07/31 - 30/06/35
« on: Friday 16 December 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find out what my grandfather did between 31-35 he had served up until 1926 with 10th hussars.  In 1931 He was issued a new regimental number 534416. I asked fir his Army records with regiments but with regret no Regiment is recorded between 31-35 in 1931 he would have been @33of age. I have searched on Ancestry but no success.  His name was Rodmund (Rodmond) Frederick Peterson.  Apparently his family name was Freddy so may have used Frederick on official documents.  He was born dairycoates hull 22 Jan 1902.  Any help or guidance appreciated...Keith ps he only got married on the 3rd October 1931 ? If you need more information please let me know ?
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Hearn - Suffolk, London, Midlands, West Lancashire. Liverpool.
Woodside - Liverpool, Midlands, Scotland, Wigtown.
Petersen/Peterson - Denmark, Hull, Liverpool
King - Hereford - Pencoyd, Monmouth
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re-engaged from the reserve - 01/07/31 - 30/06/35
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »
You can only get his records from MOD and you don't need to know his regiment, full name and death certificate are the only essentials,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re-engaged from the reserve - 01/07/31 - 30/06/35
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry or any other site will not have his details as records of man discharged after 1920 are still classed as confidential. They have started to publish Home Guard records and about 6-7 years ago the MOD asked for comments about publishing records for Regulars discharged up to 1939. But no feedback was released.

The standard enlistment was 12 years. Most infantry men did 7 years in uniform followed by 5 years in the First Class army reserve. As Reservists they served two weeks a year in exchange for half pay. And they could be recalled if there was a general mobilisation. After completing his first engagement as a Reservist they could extend by another four years. If he was overseas after seven years they could keep him for another year. So he would do 8 plus 4. Some technical units had 8 plus 4 as standard. Both would fit in this case. The 1930s is not my area of interest. So you should contact the 10th Hussars museum and ask. They may have information on him anyway.

Another possibility that he served 12 years in uniform until 1931 and then entered a different class of the Reserve for four years. His age may suggest the latter. So my guess is that he enlisted in either 1919 or 1923.

One problem you have is that Reservists very rarely recorded the fact on BMDs etc. So he may appear to be a civilian but as a Reservist he was still in the army.

He would have had the vote once he was 21 so you should look for him in the electoral rolls of his parents house in the 1920s.

You do not need a death certificate for anyone born before 1903.

Ken