Author Topic: Carter pay?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline GrayBonnet

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carter pay?
« on: Saturday 17 December 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »
How much would a Carter generally be paid? Would they be well off or poor?

Looking at my Great Great Great Grandfather he is listed as a Carter, My guess is he was a Farm Carter as he was born in Foggieloan in Scotland, Then he moved to Drumblade which is a small hamlet full of crofts, Then moved to  Kelsey, Alberta, Canada where he could have worked for what seems to be a farm. He was a Carter in the late Victorian times possibly up to the 1920's.

From the one photo I have of him, He is wearing a very nice suit and the Cottage he lived in was also a very nice house.

Also seems he would have owned his horses and cart or wagon or whatever he drove. So, How wealthy would he have really been?

Curios because my family just went from poor Agricultural Labourers too a carter living in a nice cottage and wearing fancy suits. And then those of us left behind when he went to Canada became poor again. Another question, How did one become a carter?

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Carter pay?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I would think that if one was an owner of a horse and hopefully a cart a 'carter' would preferably the way to go at that period. :) :)
He would not be 'Paid' as such but would charge whatever he pleased for any particular task. ;) ;)
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 16 12:10 GMT (UK) »
You really have to differentiate between the types of carter to estimate his wages.

In very basic terms a farm carter would be paid about the same as a man with a trade, joiner, bricklayer, shoemaker etc. He would be comfortably off without being well paid.
There were also the private carriers/carters they would legally be able to pick and choose his customers and would be able to command the best prices from them.

Then there were the common carriers/carters who were regulated by law and could not pick and choose what they carried or who they worked for. They worked for very little (about the same as a farm labourer) and were liable for virtually any damage to the goods they carried.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors described at times as Carters, and they seem to have varied from, as Guy says, very basic chaps, working their socks off for not a lot, to others who seemed to have stabling, and several assistants to work with/ under them, not all members of their own family. It was obviously at times an elastic term.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
19th century, probably delivered milk aluminium containers, collected outside toilet refuse or farm animal refuse for the farmers fields, also drove the plough teams, harvest cart, list goes on and on and reverted to general farm hand when not carting, but could have lived in a tide cottage owned by a farm or large family estate. Don't think the pay would be much more than an ag lab. In Canada with vast distances to cover ? the pay may have been more.

As an individual who ? if was able earn good money, they had such big families those days, to share out or dilute the gross amount an estate of a Will probate - that it went back to each married grown up childs merit to make his own way financially in life. (most likely poor pay and others a bit better depending on their job title)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
GB,  Scran stuff on conditions in the North of Scotland, 1840-1940,

http://www.scran.ac.uk/scotland/pdf/SP2_10Economy.pdf

Skoosh.