Author Topic: John Ingram Edgar - Veterinary Div Transvaal Dept Agriculture 1902-1928  (Read 1754 times)

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Ingram Edgar - Veterinary Div Transvaal Dept Agriculture 1902-1928
« on: Saturday 17 December 16 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful for any information with regard to John and his family during this timescale.

I have found John's wife Jessie W Edgar (maiden name unknown) travelling from Southampton to South Africa on the 'Edinburgh Castle', 23 December 1921.  She is travelling with their 4 children aged 1-8 and his spinster sister, Mary Cameron Edgar. (EDIT: I don't have a marriage or birth of any of the children.  I only have the names of 2 girls Rena b 1913 and Mary b 1917 from the 1939 Register)

In the UK 1939 Register the family are living at 109 Claremont Road, Forrest Gate, London with sister Mary Cameron Edgar (who dies at that address in 1956)

I know that John dies in 1951 at Poplar, London.

Ancestry has an entry in the Transvaal Province, South Africa, Estates Death Notice Index, 1855-1976, but doesn't provide an image.  Can anyone advise how I would gain access to this and would it just be a date entry or would there be some narrative which would be helpful for my records?

A Google search has brought up the S2A3 Biographical Database of Southern African Science, which mentions John:
Qualified (MRCVS) in Edinburgh in December 1895 and came to South Africa as an officer in the Army Veterinary Division of the British forces during the Anglo-Boer War. After the cessation of hostilities he joined the Veterinary Division of the Transvaal Department of Agriculture in November 1902, where he served until his retirement in May 1928. He obtained a Diploma in State Veterinary Medicine in 1921. For some time he was stationed at Pietersburg and was mainly responsible for the eradication of East Coast Fever in the Northern Transvaal. He published a short review of animal diseases in 1911.

Any information would be helpful and many thanks in advance, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ingram Edgar - Veterinary Div Transvaal Dept Agriculture 1902-1928
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 December 16 22:43 GMT (UK) »
This looks like his estate. Unfortunately this estate is not online at present. You can contact the EGGSA who may be able to go to the archives and make a copy for a small fee. Contact http://www.eggsa.org/
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 2940/52                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          EDGAR, JOHN INGRAM.                                                   
STARTING  19510000                                                             
ENDING    19510000   
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 December 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
National Probate Calendar
Jessie Wallace EDGAR....31 Church rd Burgess Hill Sussex...wife of John Ingram EDGAR veterinary surgeon...died 18 March 1945...

FreeBDM death   Mar Q 1945  Cuckfield  2b / 286
EDGAR Jessie W   62 years (b. ~ 1883)

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 December 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pampoen, apologies for the complete lack of knowledge, but what is the EGGSA?  This is my first shot at researching in SA.  I'm not really sure why his 'Estate' would be in the SA records as he appears to have left SA many years before he died.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Wivenhoe, hadn't got around to looking for Jessie.  Excellent find, although sad of course.

I wonder where they married and where their children were born.

thanks for your expertise. Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 December 16 05:19 GMT (UK) »
The Genealogical Society of South Africa has a "pay to use" service which will enable you to obtain pictures of documents held in the National Archives.

Go to http://www.eggsa.org and select Content --> On Line Shop --> order Archive documents.  Once you have selected the currency, select "Enter the Shop" and then select "Archive photos" (in yellow on the blue band) and follow the instructions.

Much quicker than trying to get the Archives to reply to your e-mail requests!!
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 December 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help pampoen.  Sounds like a great service they offer.  Will go and see what I can find and decide whether I can afford it.  John would be my husband's 2nd Great Uncle, so might be worth the cost.

Kit

Offline Valerie Edgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Have found your query.  John Ingram Edgar is my grandfather.
James Edgar born 1929 (Pietersburg Northern Transvaal) fourth child of The above is my father and is still alive at almost 98 and lives Perth Western Australia. 
Vivienne

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vivienne, I'm so very pleased to hear from you. Unfortunately, it's not a great time for me to correspond, as I'm very busy in work and home life at the moment. If you can bear with me, I can correspond closer to the weekend. The rules for personal messaging (PM) ask that you post 3 times to enable it. You may want to start the process by just responding to this post to get that in motion!

Lovely to hear from you. Our task is to find out more about the Edgar family but, unfortunately, we have little else to offer in that respect.

I wonder if we have already been in touch via email through family contacts? Anyway, we can clarify that once we can PM.

Offline Valerie Edgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kit. I only have an IPad so hope sufficient for PM?
Have lots on the family. (Photos)
What is your connection?
Vivienne is my daughter (Italy) and has been visiting and has established this contact for me on the iPad.
I am James Edgar's wife, Valerie.
I wonder what family contacts you already have?
Valerie