Author Topic: DNA Land  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Victorian1897

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DNA Land
« on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I'm so glad to have found this forum.  I'm happy to be here.  This is my first post.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with DNA Land?  I'm waiting for my test results from Ancestry.com but I ran a family member's Ancestry results through DNA Land, and I have some questions about the results. 

It showed 100 percent European with 33 percent North Slavic, 33 percent Northwest European, and 34 percent South/Central European. 

The South Central read:  South/Central Europe - Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani

Is this specific to the Lombardy/Tuscany and surrounding Northern Italian regions or does it include all of Italy and perhaps Germany and related countries?

Also, Northwest Europe includes Scottish, British, Norwegian and a couple others. But it didn't include Ireland.  Should Ireland be included?   

Also it mentioned France is not to be included with Northwest Europe but what about areas like Normandy, Lorraine, and Alsace?

Thank you in advance for any responses.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Land
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Victorian1897.  :)

I am not familiar with the site DNA Land, so I will leave any comments to others, but from my understanding, any DNA results cannot be narrowed down to specific areas such as Tuscany or Ireland, and the vague percentages you gave are probably about as good as you are going to get at this point in time.

I don't understand why Ireland and France would not be included in Western Europe, but someone with a better understanding of the subject may be able to enlighten us.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I've only uploaded one kit there.

It was Northwest European 79%
South European 12% (off which Balkan 9.9% and Ambiguous 2.2%)
Southwest European 6.3%
Ambiguous West Eurasian 3%

I don't think their admixture tools are too flash.  Have you uploaded to Gedmatch and tried some of the admixture tools there?  They have several.

If you look at the accompanying map Ireland is orange along with the rest of Northwest Europe.  And the northern coast of France (including Normandy) is orange as well.

Alsace-Lorraine is hard to say - Northwest Europe, Southwestern Europe and Ambigous South European appear to converge in that area but the map is a little distorted.

Offline Victorian1897

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Victorian1897.  :)

I am not familiar with the site DNA Land, so I will leave any comments to others, but from my understanding, any DNA results cannot be narrowed down to specific areas such as Tuscany or Ireland, and the vague percentages you gave are probably about as good as you are going to get at this point in time.

I don't understand why Ireland and France would not be included in Western Europe, but someone with a better understanding of the subject may be able to enlighten us.

Thank you for the welcome and your response, Ruskie!

You're probably right.  Just wish the tests were more specific.  In time, they will be.  :) 

Offline Victorian1897

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:40 GMT (UK) »
I've only uploaded one kit there.

It was Northwest European 79%
South European 12% (off which Balkan 9.9% and Ambiguous 2.2%)
Southwest European 6.3%
Ambiguous West Eurasian 3%

I don't think their admixture tools are too flash.  Have you uploaded to Gedmatch and tried some of the admixture tools there?  They have several.

Thank you for responding, Hurworth.  No, I haven't tried Gedmatch.  I'll do that.  Thanks for the tip. 

Offline Victorian1897

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:42 GMT (UK) »

If you look at the accompanying map Ireland is orange along with the rest of Northwest Europe.

Right.  So is Northern France.  We ancestry from Normandy and Ireland. 

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 December 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest forum users read the explanation blog written by Daniel Speyer, a Computer Science Masters student in Columbia University, and Yaniv Erlich (two of those connected with the DNA Land project).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j33/

A snippet is below.

"In some cases it gets a little more complicated. For example, we have fifty or so samples each from the English, Scottish, Orcadian, Icelandic and Norwegian peoples. The differences between those groups are small compared to the variation within them. Therefore, we cannot reliably tell them apart. We therefore group them into a category called “Northern European”."

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 16 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest forum users read the explanation blog written by Daniel Speyer, a Computer Science Masters student in Columbia University, and Yaniv Erlich (two of those connected with the DNA Land project).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j33/

A snippet is below.

"In some cases it gets a little more complicated. For example, we have fifty or so samples each from the English, Scottish, Orcadian, Icelandic and Norwegian peoples. The differences between those groups are small compared to the variation within them. Therefore, we cannot reliably tell them apart. We therefore group them into a category called “Northern European”."

Cheers
Guy

Probably down to the shared Scandinavian ancestry, I match Swedish and Norwegians.
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)