Author Topic: Reverend Robert Steel(e) ***Completed***  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Reverend Robert Steel(e) ***Completed***
« on: Sunday 18 December 16 10:38 GMT (UK) »
EDIT: I have come across a biography in the Dictionary of Australian Biography that answers all my questions!

Can anyone tell me anything about thg Reverend Robert Steel(e)?

So far, all I have is his marriage record from the parish register of Glass in Aberdeenshire, Robert Steel parish of Cumbray and Mary Allardyce this parish proclaimed pro 1mo 6 Nov 2ndo and 3tio regular and the birth of one child from the parish register of Cumbrae; Born John James Steel son of the Revd Robert Steel and his spouse Mary Allardyce at Millport on the 31st August and Baptized on the 24th September 1854 by the Revd James Drummond.

The Rev James Drummond was the Church of Scotland minister in Cumbrae from 1829 to 1843, when he came out for the Free Kirk, so it seems likely that Robert Steel was also an adherent of the Free Kirk.

There is a Robert Steel, independent minister, aged 24, born Saltcoats, lodging in the household of Henry Elliot in Castleton, Roxburghshire, in 1851.

I have not so far found the Reverend Robert Steel in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, which suggests that he could have been too young to be a minister before the Disruption. This would fit with the 24-year-old in Castleton.

There's no possible birth or baptism in SP and I have not found him in the 1841 census on FreeCEN. He isn't listed among the alumni of the University of Glasgow.

Nor can I find him and his family in the 1861 census.

Any suggestions?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.