Author Topic: information pre 1841 census and old workhouse buxted  (Read 1708 times)

Offline thegraylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
information pre 1841 census and old workhouse buxted
« on: Sunday 18 December 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a couple of queries, I have a relative (Judith Tourle) whose parents and brother all(inconveniently for me for census info) died in 1840 in Buxted! This left her with 3 young children and no husband (oops). I have found her in the 1841 census at Redbrook and it states her (on The Weald website) as being independent? Would this mean her parents owned a property or would it be a landowner kept her on?

Also in 1851 she's stated as living in Old Workhouse Buxted with new husband and lots more children, is this an actual workhouse or just the name of the place it used to be? Her husband James Seamer/Seymour  is quoted as being a Farm labourer,

Many thanks and happy Christmas
Lisa

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: information pre 1841 census and old workhouse buxted
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you have her marriage certificate to James Seamer?    An online transcript shows her father as William Knight Tourle and the actual document should show his occupation which would give a good idea of her status financially and show why she is "Ind" on the census.
You may find a quick google is useful.
http://www.mandywillard.co.uk/surnames/tourle/family.htm     is one site that comes up.  A bit early but you might be able to link back.
Ah, I see you have some of this.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715976.0

What exactly are you looking for now?

Offline thegraylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for your reply, I was wondering if the 'Old Workhouse' quoted as address in 1851 would be that they are living in a workhouse or if that was the name of the road?

Also how do I go about finding any information pre 1841 census?  I'd like to know more about their lifestyle and what they did etc,

Good idea about finding her marriage certificate to James - hopefully it won't just say deceased!

Lisa

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
There certainly doesn't seem to be a workhouse in Buxted in 1841

See
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Uckfield/

Uckfield Union covered Buxted from 1834 and new workhouse was built there in 1838/9

So I would say the Buxted address was some sort of property that had been used for workhouse type purposes prior to 1834 but was now a private house.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
This explains the changes that took place in 1834 to the Poor Laws:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/poorlaws/

Prior to 1834 it was parish based (so Buxted would do its own thing) and after 1834 the Unions were introduced (and then Buxtd came under Uckfield Union Workhouse)

So it looks as if the property was indeed what Buxted used to use as their workhouse under the old system, but by 1841 it would not be used as such.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
There at least six families living at Old Workhouse in 1851 including a John Seamer age 63 who could be the father of James.    They are all ag labs.  The building is between Roses Common and Lowlands.  Google those and you get some maps.   
Pre 1841 information really means looking in detail at parish registers to see if there is any further information about address or occupation when children are baptised etc.  Some vicars were very helpful in that way.  Others were not.  The children are post 1837 so their birth certificates may hold useful information.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 17 07:18 GMT (UK) »
William Knight Tourle, father of Judith is mentioned in the will of his brother John Verralls Tourle a resident of Ford Sussex at the time he wrote the will, proven Prerogative Court of Canterbury 21 May 1822. He was a very wealthy man, he must have been the eldest son and inherited everything from his father or he married very well.
* Its on ancestry it mentions his wife children, husband of daughter, cousins etc., very informative as to relationships.
William was to get 60 pounds per year for his natural life to be paid on Lady Day (25 March)and Michaelmas Day (29 September).
As William was buried in August 1840 it's possible the family still paid the September amount of 30 pounds. Her mother also deceased, so Judith who was still at home was able to use it and so put herself as Independent on 1841 census. Just speculation on my part, where money is concerned it usually divides families.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 January 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Will of William Tourle proven PCC 1 February 1800, he was a resident of Ilford Sussex.
Also on ancestry.
His son William Knight Tourle aka William Tourle  gets money, son John Tourle aka John Verrals get the land and everything else.
By the way both were described as his natural children, this means he acknowledged
them as his but was not married to their mother.

Looked promising as your William Knight Tourle had a brother John Verrals Tourle and named a son
John Verrals Tourle baptized 18 August 1822.

Offline john whitelock

• RootsChat Extra
  • John L Whitelock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
Found it!!!!
I too have ancestors who lived in the Old Workhouse.  On and off have been trying to locate it for several years - there are just no references on the internet.
By studying 1851 to 1871 censuses narrowed it down to somewhere on Pound Green Lane.  After this it disappeared.
Found it as "Workhouse Farm" on "theweald.org".  http://theweald.org/m00.asp?PicIdto=35055004
Original map is on the National Library of Scotland site (brilliant for maps) c1875 6inch
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102347623
If you have used the NLS site before this map is not on their georeferenced section.  The earliest 6inch map there is c 1895 and by then it had been demolished - hence the difficulty of finding it

Hope this is useful to a few people ;D ;D ;D

Whitelock (essex), Arrowsmith (northumberland), Spice (hastings), Linge (suffolk), Blackmur (london), Mitchell (Sussex)