Author Topic: Thomas Mitchell death 1881  (Read 723 times)

Offline Gmitch47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Mitchell death 1881
« on: Sunday 18 December 16 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,
                   Could anyone help me find out what happened to a Thomas Mitchell b. 1847 St. Andrews
he died 30/07/1881 in Blairgowrie he was a Joiner to trade, the death certificate said he had a fracture to his leg, both arms & skull and also internal injuries does anyone have access to newspapers from that time to find out what actually happened to him.

gmitch47

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mitchell death 1881
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Quite a long report in the Dundee Courier 1 Aug 1881 so i'll cut it short.
Thomas Mitchell was employed by Bissett Implements as a joiner. The grindstone in the mechanics shop had been repaired and Mitchell was adjusting it. The belt got entangled around his legs and he was swung up. He was swung around with great velocity over a dozen times, his head coming in contact with the roof and a pipe for supplying the steam hammer. The belt and clothing had to be cut. The right leg was broken at the thick part above the knee, and a large hole was in the flesh. The face was one mass of bruises, the right temple being smashed. He was 33 and leaves a wife and four children.

Offline Gmitch47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mitchell death 1881 Completed
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 16 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Middlesbrough,
                          Thank you very much for your quick reply at least I now have an idea what happened to him, is there anyway I could have the full report from the newspaper sent as an attachment ?

Thanks again for your time and giving me a report.

gmitch47