Author Topic: Looking for birthdates of John & Annie Carter  (Read 1166 times)

Offline JT101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for birthdates of John & Annie Carter
« on: Sunday 18 December 16 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am researching the family tree for my Aunt with the name Garforth.  This has led me to her mother's parents (her grandarents), the Carter's.  Her mother was called Dorothy Alice Carter, and her mothers parents John Carter and Annie Maria Carter (formerly Paul).  John was born in Stumerton, Dorset, and Annie in Monkton, Dorset both around 1858.  But I would like to find out their exact birthdates.  Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birthdates of John & Annie Carter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Is this Annie?

Anna Maria Paul
Baptism:   23 May 1858
Tarrant Monkton, Dorset, England

Father William (a labourer)  mother Sarah.

In the margin it says privately baptised. When I've seen that before it often means the child is baptised a few days after birth as it may not be expected to live.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 16 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Yep, that's them. Their 20th Sep 1880 marriage in Blandford puts her father as William Paul.

John Carter's father is Richard (also a labourer); there's a 4th July 1858 baptism in Sturminster Marshall for John s/o Richard and Jane Carter.

Offline JT101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 December 16 07:42 GMT (UK) »

Groom, you helped me on the other post about their daughter Dorothy so thanks.  Again, can I pursue this further to get the exact date?  Where did you get that Baptism from.  Maybe I can contact the Parish where she was baptised, or is a Baptism date as good as I'm going to get?  If so, what is the source of these dates for yours Groom, and yours kelzies?  If I have to pay to sign up for the information that's fine. 

Thanks again

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 December 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
The baptism came from Ancestry, they have images of that and of her marriage. Look out for free trials or cheap offers. The mother's maiden name came from the free GRO site.

As to the actual birth date, you may have buy the certificate to get that, unless you can find a record of her death, as some give birth dates, depending on when she died.

Hang on! I've just looked at the page again and further down on 12th Sept 1858 is another entry for her, which has been crossed out and the words "entered by mistake" written in the margin. I guess she was baptised at home as she was expected to die, survived and then had a welcome to the church ceremony in September that was entered as baptism by mistake. ANYWAY that has a birth date of the 1st April 1858!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JT101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 December 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The baptism came from Ancestry, they have images of that and of her marriage. Look out for free trials or cheap offers. The mother's maiden name came from the free GRO site.

As to the actual birth date, you may have buy the certificate to get that, unless you can find a record of her death, as some give birth dates, depending on when she died.

Hang on! I've just looked at the page again and further down on 12th Sept 1858 is another entry for her, which has been crossed out and the words "entered by mistake" written in the margin. I guess she was baptised at home as she was expected to die, survived and then had a welcome to the church ceremony in September that was entered as baptism by mistake. ANYWAY that has a birth date of the 1st April 1858!

Great.  I may sign up to Ancestry to look at that record as I can't find her on the GRO register.  As far as John Carter goes, it's a bit of a guess.  If according to baptism records he was born in Stumerton, Dorset, well I can't find any existance of Sturmerton.  Not sure if spelling mistake, or the town got renamed but I'm assuming that it must be fairly close to Annie's birthplace of Tarrant Monkton, and the only record in 1858 of a John Carter is in Wimborne which is not too far away so I'll go with that. 

Offline kanskar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Robert Kirk c1890
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 December 16 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Yep, that's them. Their 20th Sep 1880 marriage in Blandford puts her father as William Paul.

John Carter's father is Richard (also a labourer); there's a 4th July 1858 baptism in Sturminster Marshall for John s/o Richard and Jane Carter.

Sturminster Marshall is close to Wimborne.
Census info-Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Rodway London 19-20c
Kirk London/Brum/Coventry/London 19c
Blower Warwicks 19c
Syrett/Brewer/Cranwell London 19c
Punter Herts/London 19c
Whitrow/Hutchings/Leeworthy/Goldsworthy/May - Devon 19-20c

Stoodley Dorset/Hants/Wilts 18-20c
Cooper/Clark Broughton, Hants 18c
Moody - East Dean/Sherfield English Hants 18/19c
White  Aspull/Wigan, Lancs 19-20c
West/Angel/Johnson/Clark  S. Wilts 19-20c
Edwards  Wardour/Ansty, Wilts 19c

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
My sources are Ancestry as well :)

Sturmerton doesn't exist but in the 1881 census, John puts his birthplace at Sturminster.

1881 Census: living in Corfe Mullen.
John Carter born about 1859 Sturminster (dairyman's assistant)
'Annah' Carter born about 1858 Tarrant Monkton.

Ancestry has pictures of Dorset baptisms, including John's.