Author Topic: High Constable of Waterford  (Read 297 times)

Offline Leo Kearon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
High Constable of Waterford
« on: Monday 19 December 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
While looking through the St. Patrick Graveyard inscriptions I notice a High Constable of the City buried in the Graveyard. However I have no idea what a High Constable actually does and I can't seem to find any information on the role entailed. In particular any information about High Constable during the 1700's since the High Constable here died in 1798

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: High Constable of Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 December 16 14:27 GMT (UK) »
i entered High Constable  here and got a few hits
search archives
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I did the same on this http://www.csorp.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php very likely the same results.
Mainly people looking to be appointed to the position of High Constable.
Apart from some policing powers they seem to do a lot of collecting of rate/taxes. Collecting the cess features quite a bit.
Now I need to go and find out what the cess was.

It appears to be a tax on land owners to pay for public works such as roads and bridges.

Offline Leo Kearon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
So it seems High Constable was part Constable and part tax collector. Ineteresting.