Author Topic: 1909 marriage in North Carolina  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1909 marriage in North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi NC:

I have an Irish ancestor named Jane Brown.  Not too many of those around.   ;)

I've found that while one cannot rely on family tales, there usually is some truth to them.

Was Walter's father still alive in 1914 and if so, do you know where he lived?

It does appear that Walter was discharged rather quickly, but it looks like it was due to a medical reason.

I found another form for a Walter Brown, who was apparently born 22 June 1888, so perhaps he is not your man, or he "forgot" his age for some reason?  Do you know in which month your Walter was born?

UK Royal Navy Reg, Seamen's Services
Walter Brown, born 22 June 1888, Lincoln.  Occupation:  Stoker
This record almost matches the previously mentioned record...
he was slightly taller than in 1914; he also had black hair and fresh complexion.  now he eyes were recorded as hazel (not brown).
they both had tattoos: crossed flags on one arm and a name on the other: M. E. Saddler or Sadler.
He had "merchant service prior to entry."

Could he have signed up with a merchant ship after his marriage?

PS  Perhaps you could see if there was another Walter Brown, born c1888 in Lincoln?  If not, this man could be your fellow?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
You're amazing!! 

Walter's father Samuel died in Nottingham in 1922, but the address of 33 Ellis Street, East Kirkby (aka Kirby in Ashfield) Nottingham given by Walter in 1914 housed Walter's married sister and her family in 1911 so that record is definitely the right one.  I intend to visit the Archives at Nottingham in early March and hopefully can obtain sight of the electoral registers for around 1914 to see if Walter and Samuel were at that address.

I have checked the 1888 births and the 1891 census for Lincoln and there is no-one that fits, within a 25 mile radius of the city. I won't know my Walter's correct DOB until next week although I know it was registered in the September quarter of 1883.  So....................  thanks to your wonderful help and me going up the wrong tree again in America I might have got a step nearer.

My last task is to find out if Walter died before January 1918 when my Gran re-married and called herself a widow.  The poor woman had a hard life and no-one blames her for finding happiness with another.

I am so grateful for all your help.  NC. x 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad we are getting somewhere.   :)

Just "FYI"...

Looking at the 1911 England Census Summary Book, I wonder if there could be a connection, or was it just a common name?

1911 District 22, Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire
33 Ellis - Mr. Brown, 3 males, 3 females in house
37 Ellis - Mr. Brown, 1 male, 1 female in house

Again, perhaps the Browns were not related.

I've not yet found any other information for Walter.  I hope your Gran was able to eventually find happiness.  :'(
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:27 GMT (UK) »
In 1911, there was also a
Mr. Brown, 38 Ellis, 4 males, 1 female

Perhaps these were Samuel's adult children (at 37 and 38 Ellis)?

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I've looked right through Ellis Street and there are no other Browns related to my family.  So, I sit here patiently waiting for the country to get back to normal and send me Walter's birth certificate. Searching the electoral registers around 1914 will have to wait until the Spring as they are not online. 

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I now have the correct birth certificate for Walter, confirming his date of birth as 22 June 1883 in Lincoln city. He has no middle name. It's only taken me 16 years to get the right one!! 
All the information you have found for me is for the right man.  I now have his service number K24951 which has given me information about his award of the British War Medal for service in Europe 1914 - 1920 so he didn't die in the war. 
I cannot confirm any subsequent marriages or his death in the UK due to his common name but it does confirm that my Gran , bless her old heart, was a bigamist marrying as a widow in 1918 to the man who would become my Grandfather.
I am happy to have solved part of the riddle and am so grateful to you for all your help from so far away. 
Happy New Year from England.
NC.