Author Topic: Temperature and Weather Records for Morningside, Edinburgh 1930  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature and Weather Records for Morningside, Edinburgh 1930
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 December 16 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I realise that there are no inquests in Scotland.  Can you tell me the correct term to use please.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761392.msg6127177#msg6127177
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 January 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much to everyone for their help and suggestions.
regards
Jan

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 January 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I was raised in the area between Dalhousie Terrace and Braid Road, so know the area well. To head for 28 Dalhousie Terrace by bus from the city centre, the nearest bus stop is in Comiston Road, almost opposite Craiglea Drive. It was there (and still is) by the time I was first around in the 1960s, and I suspect was there from much earlier - probably from when the trams came to the area in the late 19th century. However, there is nothing to say that she had arrived by bus that evening.

If you are  prepared to speculate, perhaps she had been visiting somebody further up the hill on Braid Road, by the Braid Hills Hotel, or a bit southwards - many of the houses there now were built well before 1930. On her way homewards, she could have been "caught short" and decided to head through the gateway of the Hermitage of Braid to go behind a tree for a "comfort break". In the dark away from Braid Road, she may have been unlucky and chosen a tree on the downslope to the burn to go behind, and lost her footing, and fallen into the burn and drowned.

The Google Maps vehicle has been along the road into the Hermitage of Braid, so you can see the bridge over the burn, and the road running parallel to the burn as it heads eastwards.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9193222,-3.2101293,3a,75y,143.59h,109.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so0tDxNEpRDUyU1t49oTN9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The burn is less than a foot deep and free flowing in this area. At just below freezing point, the burn wouldn't be frozen over, but the muddy slope down to the burn could easily have been slippery. The surface of the burn is about three to four feet lower than road level near to the bridge just inside the Hermitage gates.

Food for thought,

ADP

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 January 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Some 60 years ago, I belonged to Braidburn Athletic Club and, as the name suggests, most of our Saturday cross-country runs took place in or around the Hermitage of Braid park. This is why I took an interest in this thread.
As was noted earlier, there is no indication where she was last sighted or by whom. It could very well have been by someone in the house where she worked/lived. Nor is there any indication of where or when she entered the burn - only that she was found immediately east of the Braid Road bridge at noon the following day. I think death by suicide would have caused additional stress to the family and the doctor would not have made that notation on the death certificate unless there were significant indications of that being the case. I realize that suicide was not indicated on the RCE but it was not "corrected" either, and that is the purpose of the RCE -  to correct any incorrect or missing information in the death certificate.
I think it is possible that she left her home on the morning of Jan 28 and went to the closest convenient place to enter the burn.
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I must apologise for taking so long to reply to people  I just spent a long time writing replies to ADP and IanB.  I tried to preview it and lost it completely.  I am very tired so will try again tomorrow.

Thank you
regards
Jan

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 January 17 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Been there.  Done that. Felt sick :(
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk