Author Topic: SALMON mystery.  (Read 3616 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SALMON mystery.
« on: Tuesday 20 December 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
My biggest brick wall is that of my great grandmother.  Here is what I know.

In 1897, she married Cornelius Driscoll, in Preston, Lancashire.  She is of full age.  Her father is noted as James Salmon, market gardener.  They marry in a Roman Catholic church.  He was born in to a family of Church Of Ireland. (Would he have had to be rebaptised to become a Catholic)?

1898, first daught Mary Anne O'Driscoll is born, in Dublin. 

Fast forward to 1911, six children have been born, the last child being Anastacia who died as a baby. 
Mary Anne, Rose, Catherine, Joseph, Cornelius and Anastacia.

1901 census and 1911 census, the O'Driscoll family are living in Swords, Dublin.  She puts her place of birth as Dublin.  Cornelius is from Kildare.  Age wise, her birth of year works out to be around 1872-1874. 

1925, there is a death record for her in Swords, again, it puts her birth at around 1873. 

I cannot, anywhere, find a birth of Mary Salmon, around these years, with the father James.  I presume he is alive by the time they marry, as Cornelius father has died and he writes that his dad is deceased, whereas Mary does not. 

There is a Mary Salmon in 1875, born in Kilkenny, to a father James, but Kilkenny looks quite far away?

The only other Salmon name I have to go on, are as follows, on the marriage cert of Mary and Cornelius, there is a Catherine Salmon as a witness.  And when Rose O'Driscoll (my great great aunt) died in 1924, the informant is a Bridget Salmon.

Can anyone help?  I've gone over ever Mary Salmon on irishgenealogy, i've search until I couldn't search anymore on rootsireland, I've scoured the newspaper for Dublin and for Preston, I have look on the 1901 and 1911 census for James Salmon and i've search for Mary Salmon in England in 1891...

I am really stuck!  I've only managed to find Cornelius Driscolls birth in 1874 and his parents marriage in 1865, and then I'm stuck again! 

Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SALMON mystery.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
wonder what brought them to Swords
have you checked out the neighbours
A John Salmon married Elizabeth Brady when ?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Swords/Main_Street/1267159/

O'Driscolls
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Swords/Main_Street/1267184/

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting, no I had not checked the neighbours! I will have a look for John salmon and marriages now, thank you
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for an Unknown Salmon born that year?
IrishGenealogy uses Unknown when the child doesn't have a first name when registered.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
have you checked out the neighbours
A John Salmon married Elizabeth Brady when ?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Swords/Main_Street/1267159/

I suspect this is John's wife Eliza-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Swords_East/Seatown__East/3516
and daughter Mary Anne-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Donabate/Ballalease__North/6054
so, possibly John Salmon's death in 1901-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05712/4611342.pdf

If, and it's very much an if, this is John's marriage in 1888 then his father John Salmon was dead before 1888-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10785/5932997.pdf

However, possible birth for Mary Anne in 1892 lists mother as Eliza Brady-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02336/1874204.pdf
This marriage in 1880 is in the same district- see here with an Eliza Brady on same page
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 15:04 GMT (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the original of their marriage?
Are you sure that her father's name was JAMES - could it have been abbreviated and incorrectly transcribed e.g as JOS and read as James rather than Joseph

There is a family in Swords in the 1860s/1870s
Joseph SALMON and Rose McDONNELL
They had at least 11 children named:
Patrick 1862
Nicholas 1864
Thomas 1866
Catherine 1867
Mary 1869
Laurence 1871
Rose 1873
Eliza 1875
Joseph 1877
Rose Anne 1879
James 1881

In light of the names of Mary SALMON-O'DRISCOLL's children I would consider this as a possibility
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I'll dig the certificate out tonight to check, I ordered it from the gro website so not sure if original or copied!

I have seen that one but all other bits suggest her birth year is roughly 1873, although I suppose that is only four years off.

I  really need to figure out the link between Mary being in Lancaster as well I think

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »