Author Topic: Roberts family questions  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Swamp Rooster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roberts family questions
« on: Tuesday 20 December 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »
  Hello all , I looking for info on Evan Roberts
1794–
BIRTH ABT. 1794 • Llanbadarn fawr, Cardiganshire, Wales    and
Elizabeth Lloyd
1798–
BIRTH ABT. 1798 • Llanbadarnfawr, Wales
DEATH Unknown   
    I am trying to figure out some family tree things . We have some Traveler back ground in my family but I never thought it was any from the Roberts side . We were told by our Grandmother that we had Native American blood . She was dark skinned and dark haired along with her brothers and Sisters for the most part , looking almost Native ..
  How ever when my cousin and I did out DNA test it come back that we had no native blood . This made me curious because my Great Grand mother was the one that was suppose to be the Native , her Father was born to the couple listed above , his name was Issac .
   Our DNA came back with South Asian and  Iberian Peninsula.. There were other rumors of two different Aunts that told fortunes .  Also the Bowen blood in be were all dark folks and all new one another .. Any help would be very appreciated. Finding Romany Blood would really be a great thing and explain a lot. So many things were as secret in many areas of my family including superstitions that other " normal people " did not have .   Swamp Rooster . 

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts family questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Children of Evan Roberts and Elizabeth Lloyd from Familysearch.org

1/Elizabeth Roberts
birth:   28 March 1820   
2/John Roberts
birth:   27 December 1822   
3/Isaac Roberts
birth:   27 May 1836   
4/Robert Roberts
birth:   7 February 1830   
5/William Roberts
birth:   9 November 1826   
6/Robert Roberts
birth:   10 November 1831   

All baptised at Penllwyn Chapel at LLanbadarnfawr over an 11 year time-span even if Roberts is a well known welsh gypsy surname

Not a typical gypsy pattern but do any of the family have trades associated with Gypsy/Romany blood in the 1841/1851 census?

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Swamp Rooster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 03:40 GMT (UK) »
 Some did stone work and some made Drays  or horse drawn sleighs .  They did a lot of horse work even once they were here.

Offline Swamp Rooster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Some of this info I have some is not matching to the head stones .. Could I ask where you got this information, and think you in advance for the help..

Offline Swamp Rooster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Children of Evan Roberts and Elizabeth Lloyd

1/Elizabeth Roberts
birth:   28 March 1820   
2/John Roberts
birth:   27 December 1822   
3/Isaac Roberts
birth:   27 May 1836   
4/Robert Roberts
birth:   7 February 1830   
5/William Roberts
birth:   9 November 1826   
6/Robert Roberts
birth:   10 November 1831   

All baptised at Penllwyn Chapel at LLanbadarnfawr over an 11 year time-span even if Roberts is a well known welsh gypsy surname

Not a typical gypsy pattern but do any of the family have trades associated with Gypsy/Romany blood in the 1841/1851 census?
   Some of the things I am finding .. Stone worker , Shoe maker, Book maker , Dray and sleigh maker ... brick layer , farm labor , coachman

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Birth Information from the IGI #Familysearch.org

The family also appears here in the 1851 census

Elizabeth Roberts
England and Wales Census, 1851
Parcel Canol, Cardiganshire, Wales
Aberystwyth
Age   58
Widow, Supported By Her Children
Birth Year (Estimated)   1793
Birthplace   Tryegbryd, Montgomeryshire

Elizabeth Roberts   Head   F   58   Tryegbryd, Montgomeryshire
William Roberts   Son   M   24   Llanbadarnf, Cardiganshire
Robert Roberts   Son   M   19   Llanbadarnf, Cardiganshire
Isaac Roberts   Son   M   14   Llanbadarnf, Cardiganshire

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&englishSubcountryName=Cardiganshire&query=%2Bgivenname%3AElizabeth~%20%2Bsurname%3ARoberts~%20%2Bother_givenname%3AIsacc~%20%2Bother_surname%3Aroberts~%20%2Brecord_country%3AWales%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A"Wales%2CCardiganshire"

So Evan Roberts died before 1851?

"Parcel Canol, a township in Llanbadarn Fawr parish, Cardiganshire, near Aberystwyth and the river Rheidol. Acreage, 2855 ; population, 366." http://ukga.org/wales/Cardiganshire/towns/ParcelCanol.html
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Swamp Rooster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Birth Information from the IGI #Familysearch.org

The family also appears here in the 1851 census

Elizabeth Roberts
England and Wales Census, 1851
Parcel Canol, Cardiganshire, Wales
Aberystwyth
Age   58
Widow, Supported By Her Children
Birth Year (Estimated)   1793
Birthplace   Tryegbryd, Montgomeryshire

Elizabeth Roberts   Head   F   58   Tryegbryd, Montgomeryshire
William Roberts   Son   M   24   Llanbadarnf, Cardiganshire
Robert Roberts   Son   M   19   Llanbadarnf, Cardiganshire
Isaac Roberts   Son   M   14   Llanbadarnf, Cardiganshire

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&englishSubcountryName=Cardiganshire&query=%2Bgivenname%3AElizabeth~%20%2Bsurname%3ARoberts~%20%2Bother_givenname%3AIsacc~%20%2Bother_surname%3Aroberts~%20%2Brecord_country%3AWales%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A"Wales%2CCardiganshire"

So Evan Roberts died before 1851?

"Parcel Canol, a township in Llanbadarn Fawr parish, Cardiganshire, near Aberystwyth and the river Rheidol. Acreage, 2855 ; population, 366." http://ukga.org/wales/Cardiganshire/towns/ParcelCanol.html

Thanks for the info, I will check it out .. I have been trying to figure some of this out . They talked of two aunts that would tell fortunes on two sides of my family . My Grandma Nettie would freak you out with the things she would know about folks , she was a Roach . The whole family boxed on most sides . The Bowen's were very good boxers and some looked Italian.  I also had some Baugus/ Bauguess  in out tree. I know we do not have Native Americans , the Romani blood makes more since with what I have heard about them. My Grandma also made a lot of medicine that worked .
  Also one time when I was a kid some folks came to the town we were in ( where we lived most of the time) and stayed for part of a summer and as few months of school. They rented a house and had rummage sales every week . They were friends of the family possibly cousins , I could never tell for sure .
   The one daughter was my age and was a beautiful girl I thought , I thought she was my girl in second grade ..lol..  She was always in trouble in school for things ,never nothing big just odd things like writing with a pen when she was told to use a pencil . She also got in trouble for wearing to much makeup . I remember this because I was protective of her and it use to make me made ,like they were picking on her ..
   One day the teachers were talking in the haul and I was getting a drink in the fountain , they were saying that she and her family were Gypsy's  , all were whispering this ..
  She was only in school for a few months and I never seen her again.
    My Mom read cards as well but she was not related to the Roberts ,Roberts was my Dads side .  She got these things from my Grandma Nettie . Grandma was said to not have been a full Christian  when she was young and they talked of her old religion .  She was my Great Grandmother ..
   It seems I have some digging to do, thank you again for the help.. 

Offline David Henry Attewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Attewell/Joles/Wood

Offline Jamie Fuller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi just came across this , do you know anything about the Edwards family from the same area I have being doing research on them for years, we are confident they were travellers / Romany. They were all carters / carriers the my side off the family settled in llanelli after looking for work between cardigan and port talbot.  Late 1800s. There are a lot off Romany Edwards from that part off the world but I am yet 100% able to confirm this thanks .