Author Topic: Stamfordham Baptism  (Read 1402 times)

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stamfordham Baptism
« on: Tuesday 20 December 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had access to a copy of the original Stamfordham parish register baptisms please?

I am looking for the baptism of Maria Cowell.

Found conflicting info online, one thing says:
Maria Cowell, birth 15th April 1806, baptism 15th April 1806, father George Cowell, mother Isabella.

Another says:
Maria Cowel, birth 15th April 1806, baptism 18th May 1806, father George Cowel.

She is my great (x5) grandmother, and married Ralph Herron.

If anyone had access to a copy of the original, I'd be really grateful if you could maybe check please, for clarification.

Many thanks!
Russell
 :)
Masters, Edwards, Gray, Fulthorpe, Herron, Zacks/Zaks/Sacks, Stadler, Palm

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stamfordham Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
The answer appears to be they are different baptisms in different churches (although probably the same family).

Film 95028 is the Church of England records

Film 87985 is the Presbyterian Church Stamfordham records

You can see copies of the registers (church of England) on Familysearch for Stamfordham but I did not see Maria there. However I remember from the past and looking at Stamford registers there are bits out of order and I didn't fancy wading back and forth so she could be there just out of order
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Her actual baptism plus that of a number of siblings appears to have been at a non-conformist church, Stamfordham Presbyterian, and all those entries just state George as father (no mother).

I would suggest that the entries showing both parents, that all show birth/baptisms as on same date, are from members submitted entries on the old IGI, and that Maria was indeed born 15/4/1806 and baptised 18/5/1806.  Maria and siblings all seem to have been baptised within a month of their birth.

So, I think the actual original Presbyterian records are just going to state 'parents' as plain George and both birth and baptism dates.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Her actual baptism plus that of a number of siblings appears to have been at a non-conformist church, Stamfordham Presbyterian, and all those entries just state George as father (no mother).

I would suggest that the entries showing both parents, that all show birth/baptisms as on same date, are from members submitted entries on the old IGI, and that Maria was indeed born 15/4/1806 and baptised 18/5/1806.  Maria and siblings all seem to have been baptised within a month of their birth.

So, I think the actual original Presbyterian records are just going to state 'parents' as plain George and both birth and baptism dates.

Annette

Sorry I would disagree with that.

If you follow the film numbers through to the LDS site they clearly state that film 95028 are the registers of the church of England
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I found a marriage for George and Isabella (nee Robson) Cowell 28th Dec 1782 in Kirkwhelpington.
Then I found 12 children all baptised in Stamfordham:
Elizabeth 1782
Jane 1785
Joseph 1788
John 1790
William 1793
Isabella 1795
Thomas 1797
Esther 1799
Ann 1801
Mary 1804
Maria 15 Apr 1806
Robert

These were all together showing George as father and Isabella as mother.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:44 GMT (UK) »

Annette

Sorry I would disagree with that.

If you follow the film numbers through to the LDS site they clearly state that film 95028 are the registers of the church of England

We will just have to 'disagree' then, davidft, because all the entries showing birth/baptism dates as the same (in itself an unusual event) all appear in the Stamfordham Presbyterian church records with the same birthdates and then showing correct baptism dates.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:58 GMT (UK) »
We will just have to 'disagree' then, davidft, because all the entries showing birth/baptism dates as the same (in itself an unusual event) all appear in the Stamfordham Presbyterian church records with the same birthdates and then showing correct baptism dates.

Annette

Sorry that statement is incorrect if you care to check. However to stop this to and fro I am now leaving this thread.

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Further to your Presbyterian Church Stamfordham / Church of England Stamfordham discussion.

As mentioned before I found Jane Cowell baptised in Stamfordham (to George and Isabella) on 8th Dec 1785. I have also found Jane Cowel baptised 29th Jan 1786 at Presbyterian Church Stamfordham to George Cowel.

Same with Joseph. Baptised in Stamfordham 17 Feb 1788 as above. Also found Joseph Cowel baptised at Presbyterian Church Stamfordham 17 Feb 1788 to George Cowel.

Two different records. Appears to be the same for most if not all of the children, including Maria.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a look at the Bishops Transcripts for Stamfordham (it is image 135 if you wish to see for  yourself). I can see no baptism for Maria Cowell recorded. I would also make the observation that in this period the mother's maiden name is given in these registers. I would, therefore, be inclined to think that they were baptised in the Presbyterian Church.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)