Author Topic: bryant family  (Read 4133 times)

Offline MycroftHolmes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bryant family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 December 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »

willsy no problem on sending the same link twice
I constantly get mixed up - not enough coffee in a day

your responses are amazing fast - I think Rachel McCrum is spelt this way - no "B"

my grandmother wrote her down as a debutante - cant verify that - though she said there was a fire that destroyed some buildings they owned and hurt them financially as they had no insurance

just rechecked the story from my grandma - rachel McCrum born about 1831
fire in montreal about 1840
does this sound right
unfortunately my grandma is dead and i have no living relatives with whom to check - why i am trying to find out so my children will know

all your help is appreciated - maybe on day we will meet - I'll buy coffee

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 December 16 01:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1844 of a Margaret McCrum and Dryden Smith in Montreal at St. Thomas Anglican.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 December 16 01:46 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census has George Bryant and Dryden Smith living together in Aylmer, Quebec.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 December 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 December 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I can't read the actual parish record very well but the non-Catholic marriage index for Montreal indicates that Dryden Smith married a Mary Ann McCrum in 1844? Dryden's wife is Mary Ann in the 1852 census and their 2 children Thomas Matthew, 3, and Mary Ann, 1.

Mary Ann Smith married a George Radmore (?) (transcribed as Redmare) (Radmore is found with a variety of spellings in the records) 12 Apr 1858 in Ottawa. Mary Ann's parents Mathew and Elizabeth McCrumb. There is no image but link to transciption below (scroll down to page 10). George and Mary Ann can be found in the 1871 census and have Thomas and Mary A Smith living with them plus a daughter Janet b. 1859. Can't find them in the 1861 census.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/ottawa58.htm

Added: the above is from this website  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onvsr/

So I think Mary Ann might be the sister of Rachel.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the B on the end of McCrum. You might also find the name as McCrumm in the Quebec records if I remember correctly. Assuming Mary Ann is the correct wife in the 1844 marriage, her last name is McCrum then and her parents as McCrumb when she marries George in 1858. And ages can be quite varied over time in the records as well.

None of the info posted in the thread proves or disproves that the Rachel we have been writing about is your Rachel, however. I think what you really need is the record of her marriage to George Bryant and hope it lists her parents. I have not been able to find a marriage record on line so far.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 December 16 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Rachel McCrum a sponsor at Eliza's 1825 baptism married as McCrumb in 1828 to William Dunn, tailor.  Rachel Dunn, 55, widow is living in household of Dryden Smith in 1851.

Offline MycroftHolmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 December 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
 :)

a quote from my grandmas story...
Around the year 1830 lived a family in Montreal by the name of McCrum.  They were of Scottish descent.  In the year 1831 a daughter was born to this family and was called Rachel.  The McCrum's were well to do people and Rachel was raised as a debutante.
During the large Montreal fire around 1840 two of the McCrum's stone houses were blown up to try and stop the fire.  In those days there was little, if any, insurance. 
Some of the McCrum's moved to Aylmer and Ottawa.  One of the sisters married a man named Radmore.  He descendants are still running a funeral home in Ottawa.  A sister married a man named Dryden Smith, he owned a hotel where the Aylmer hotel now stands, the original was burned down.
Rachel McCrum who was a small pretty girl, came to Aylmer to visit her sister and brother-in-law, while there my grandfather to be came to the Aylmer hotel to stay all night, as he often had done before; while there he met Rachel McCrum, they fell in love and were soon married.

The above is a quote from my grandmas story of the Bryant family...

What is confusing me and I finally realized it - My grandmas father was Dryden Smith Bryant...
In the above story there is a Dryden Smith who owned a hotel (not my grandmas father)
hope this helps -
George Bryant was born in buckinghamshire in England around 1832 - he took a course in supply keeping and got a job in Pontiac, Quebec, Canada

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 December 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
The great fire in Montreal was in 1852:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1852

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 December 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »