Author Topic: How many Baptisms can one child have?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How many Baptisms can one child have?
« on: Wednesday 21 December 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just how many baptisms can one child have? While working my way through various records in my tree I've found four baptism records for Christopher Gray within a year.

Baptism – Coleby, Lincoln 1870 Dec 30th Christopher son of Frederick & Angelina Gray abode Grantham (no occupation)
Baptism – Billingborough, Lincoln 1871 Feb 7th Christopher son of Frederick & Angelina Gray abode Billingborough occupation Chair Bottomer
Baptism: Hale Magna, Lincoln 1871 13 Feb (Private) Christopher son of Frederick & Angelina Gray – Travellers
Baptism – South Kyme, Lincoln 1871 August 26th (Private) Christopher son of Frederick and Angelina Gray, abode North Kyme occupation Gipsy. Born 18th Dec 1870.

They have to be the same Christopher Gray, I haven't found a burial record for him yet!

I have read before that gypsies had a habit of baptising children in various places to get gifts etc. but four times in just over eight months is pushing their luck a bit me thinks  ::).

Just thought I had to share this one, not come across so many before, will have to see if I can find anymore.

Happy Christmas to all  :D

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How many Baptisms can one child have?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Under ecclesiastical laws there should only be one baptism.

However though many gypsies were very religious there was also another side to the story and not just the often mentioned settlement question.
Under the 1834 Poor Law Act it was possible for a person to receive relief (payments) without going in to the workhouse.

If you look at the baptisms the are mainly in different Unions, this could mean out relief from each Union as in those days there would be little contact between them.

Coleby, Lincoln, was in the Lincoln Union
Billingborough, Lincoln, was in the Bourne Union
Hale Magna, Lincoln, was in the Sleaford Union
South Kyme, Lincoln, was also in the Sleaford Union

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 16 00:46 GMT (UK) »
From the information you provide the child was only baptised fully the one time.

I suspect the other baptisms were done for settlement purposes but not to receive multiple payments. This family were travellers and probably spent different seasons in different parts of the country. It would be convenient for them to have settlement in each place so they would not be removed to a place of settlement which was not the one they were in when misfortune befell them.

Great records for their descendants -- gives their movements around the countryside.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 16 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi. All. It may be of interest. And something that I have never spoke on before. But I was baptized twice. Once Catholic. As my mother was. And Anglican as my father. In Scotland most romany seem to be protestant. But It varies. And Welsh have lots of chapel. Olso Catholic. And Pentecost. and others in parts of England. But because we are mainly a very religious people. And like to get our children baptized. Christened. As soon as possible. We would  often use whatever churches were available. And traveling round. It could be any. Then re baptized at a church of choice.  I have three son's with different baptismal churchs./ official religious faiths It may add to the other posts on this subject. Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
my brother was christened twice ,this was in the late 1930s ,he was a sickly baby and the family believed being baptised again would drive the sickness out ...my mams family were all Romany and this practice was common amongst them ...
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 16 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Gray and Angelina Smith were part of my family. They settled in Metheringham where they are all buried. Frederick in 1926, angelina 1929 and Christopher 1946.

Frederick was the son of my 3x great grandparents Christopher Gray and Maria Smith. For the record Christopher was buried at Brigg Cemetery in 1869 and Maria at Heckington in 1875.

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 December 16 18:08 GMT (UK) »
May be a little more common than one would think.  I have two cases in my family tree. First, was an "Ag.Lab." plus wife and two under five children.  Children Baptised at Chelmorton and some months later at Earl Sterndale. Second case, first child of a farmer, Baptised at Bakewell and a month or two later at Youlgreave.  In both cases the churches were Anglican and about five miles apart.